What derailleur mount type is this? Is it convertible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimpTheChimp

Hi, attached is a pic of the rear derailleur mount on a Schwinn Meridan7 7-speed adult trike:

IMG_3567 (Small).JPG

Can anyone tell me:

1. What type of derailleur mount is this? Frame mount? Standard mount? Direct mount? Or what?

2. Can I convert this easily to a hanger-type mount instead? I see some 'generic' types like a SunRace or something similar. Or...

3. Could I get a new derailleur with the hanger 'built in' and just attach that to the rear axle bolt and ignore this silly stripped out mount?

Reason I'm asking: Got this new, but the cheap no-name derailleur they used at the factory had been torn off somewhere, either: at the factory during assembly; during box up; or during transit. Yeah, I could return it, but it took months to get the order filled, and I'd have to try to re-box up the thing (no easy task). I could possibly re-tap and fix the threads, but I still think they used the wrong derailleur (doesn't fit right). Anyway, I'd rather use a replaceable type generic hanger for the future instead of this frame mounted one. Plus I can purchase a much better derailleur to use!

So what options do I have here? Thanks in advance.

-Chimp

If the threads are knackered then just fit a helicoil. Then something like Altus or Sora mech will bolt straight on.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if you axle mount one, whilst it may work, isn't the stripped out hanger going to get in the way of the operation of the derailleur?

also the outside of the axle appears to be set quite a way off the cassette due to presence of said stripped out hanger???

also the outside of the axle appears to be set quite a way off the cassette due to presence of said stripped out hanger???
It's possible there are two chains. A long one and a very short one??? My wife's old Piccador had two chains. Fearsome thing to set up right!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's possible there are two chains. A long one and a very short one??? My wife's old Piccador had two chains. Fearsome thing to set up right!
there could be 26 chains, the outer axle nut is still a long way off the cassette, hence trying to get a alternative axle mount derailleur to work will be very challenging..... which is probably why it has its own hanger mount, that is unfortunately buggered.

My advice to the OP would be to contact the supplier to explain the threads are stripped. A discount and attempt to re cut the threads may work, but really its a "return and wait further" job I fear.

In some way it is indirect drive. The cassette isn't in line with the axle, and isn't meant to be. There are two sprockets on the axle, one from the pedals, and one that connects to the deraillieur. Don't ask me how it works, I never could figure it out!!!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ditto my Kentex

OP
OP
SimpTheChimp

SimpTheChimp

Hey all, thanks for all the replies. I found a few photos of what the drivetrain looks like:

2021-07-05 16_12_48-Amazon.com_ Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle, Three Wheel Cruiser Bike, 24 ...png

2021-07-05 16_10_22-Amazon.com_ Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle, Three Wheel Cruiser Bike, 24 ...png

The derailleur basically drives a mini 'hub' of sorts, which in turn connects to a the real main wheels hub via a short chain. Unfortunately, I had my trike arrive in the same condition as this gent did:
2021-07-05 16_17_50-Amazon.com_ Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle, Three Wheel Cruiser Bike, 24 ...png

Main chain disconnect from bike, with derailleur just hanging there.

So again, what type of mount is this - just a plain frame mount? Or a direct connect mount?

T4Tomo - So your saying that the hanger portion on the frame would be in the way of mounting a separate hanger and/or separate derailleur with a built-in hanger? If so, then I see that too... Hmm, but I thought I saw something - some kind of special hanger - that would get around that. Can't remember where or what it was called though. Also, the mount itself is pretty close to the cassette - only, I'd say, a quarter to 1/2 inch or less. Actually that is another problem I see - mounting the old or even a new Acera derailleur, the hub of the derailleur where the mounting bolt is located, is rather large, much more so than in a hanger mount one. So trying to get it to sit properly is difficult since the bolt-on rear wheel drive portion's frame bar is right there. I don't see how they mounted it - and for that reason me thinks they pulled a fast one and tried to put a cheap look-alike no branded no name copy of a Acera derailleur onto it at the factory; hence is why it probably came off! Anyway, if it is in the way I guess I could 'hacksaw' it off... I'd rather not if possible though.

Darius: I actually tried that, but it's not easy. I got a new Acera onto it after many attempts (after helicoil) but it still doesn't look or work right.

Finally guys, I did call Schwinn support but it took forever to explain to the dumb person that it was a frame problem and just sending a new derailleur wouldn't work. Then she basically said pack it up and send it back. Which again is what I don't want to do if possible - I've already fiddled around with it so I don't think they would accept it; and the thought of trying to repack this thing gives me nightmares. Hence why I'd rather keep it and fix it myself.

So... any more thoughts?

-Chimp

Top Bottom