What did I do wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hey,

I will start this on a slightly different tone - I was in the car!

I was driving down here (http://goo.gl/maps/qC0CM) in the left hand lane. The traffic was slowing for the roundabout and 2 guys were cycling single file in secondary, slowing down (for the roundabout, or so I thought). The one in front left the road via the pavement on the left followed by his mate behind him. Not a problem - I was going tops 3mph as he was trying to unclip before getting off the road. I will admit I was probably a bit close but I was basically crawling at this stage - the speedo was barely registering a speed!

I overtook once they'd left the road and I got a load of abuse - the vees, the finger, told me to f**k off.

Is he just a knob or did I do something to upset him?
 

Kookas

Guru
Location
Exeter
Could be neither, and just a misunderstanding.
 

Hip Priest

Legendary Member
Difficult to say. Could you have overtaken in the other lane? Nice to see a bit of Penketh on Streeview. I am a former Penketh High pupil!
 
OP
OP
S

sabian92

Guru
Difficult to say. Could you have overtaken in the other lane? Nice to see a bit of Penketh on Streeview. I am a former Penketh High pupil!

There was reasonably heavy traffic so I was stuck behind (well, not "stuck" as in "GET OUT OF MY WAY YOU BLOODY CYCLISTS YOU PAY NO ROAD TAX YOU SHOULD BE ON THE PAVEMENT OR UNDER A BUS" but you get the idea) and I wasn't going fast enough to merge into the traffic. I had no issue staying behind him at all, but I didn't understand the abuse. I considered stopping and asking what his issue was but my fiancee wasn't keen on the idea so I let him think he'd won by driving off. I wouldn't mind, I've got a bloody British Cycling sticker in the back window!

No idea where Penketh High is - I'm a Runcorn lad :biggrin:
 
OP
OP
S

sabian92

Guru
Did he have a helmet camera on? Might be seeing you soon on Youtube.

I honestly didn't notice but I bloody hope not! :biggrin:

Either way, helmet cam or not if you have a pop at somebody for NOT squeezing past you, holding back and basically stopping as you stop traffic because you're trying to unclip, then you're a tosser.
 
And they wonder why many drivers hate cyclists. Sadly there are more and more out there with the I'M RIGHT WHATEVER I DO AND YOU'R SCUM attitude and a chip on the shoulder so big you'd need a gallon of sauce to cover it.
 

Hip Priest

Legendary Member
There was reasonably heavy traffic so I was stuck behind (well, not "stuck" as in "GET OUT OF MY WAY YOU BLOODY CYCLISTS YOU PAY NO ROAD TAX YOU SHOULD BE ON THE PAVEMENT OR UNDER A BUS" but you get the idea) and I wasn't going fast enough to merge into the traffic. I had no issue staying behind him at all, but I didn't understand the abuse. I considered stopping and asking what his issue was but my fiancee wasn't keen on the idea so I let him think he'd won by driving off. I wouldn't mind, I've got a bloody British Cycling sticker in the back window!

It sounds like you encountered an idiot.
 
Top Bottom