What differences exists amongst the different hierarchy of gear shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gbola

Really I can not bring myself to understand why one would buy expensive gear shifters like shimano ultegra, SRAM RED and Di2 ACE etc over shimano sora and SRAMX5 etc, especially if the lower order ones are working properly. What is special about the expensive ones apart from shifting the chain ring from one sprocket to another. Are they faster or more accurate or what?

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Most of it is snobbery, something which I have to admit that I'm personally guilty of but in essence It's just nice to have decent kit if that's your thin., I only use Campag but that's mainly bacause it looks better on the types of bikes I own. In truth, as long as it works and is reliable, who cares!

OP
OP
G

Gbola

Most of it is snobbery, something which I have to admit that I'm personally guilty of but in essence It's just nice to have decent kit if that's your thin., I only use Campag but that's mainly bacause it looks better on the types of bikes I own. In truth, as long as it works and is reliable, who cares!
What kind of bikes do you own. I read some where that campagnolo gears are nice and accurate but clunky! whatever that means

I would choose to buy something over sora easily, it works but I don't get on with the thumb triggers (I can't reach them from the flats or the drops, just the hood) and the hoods become less comfortable; I'd happily upgrade to tiagra or 105 to overcome that (and have done); I don't think I'd rush out to buy Ultegra or Dura Ace though.

OP
OP
G

Gbola

I would choose to buy something over sora easily, it works but I don't get on with the thumb triggers (I can't reach them from the flats or the drops, just the hood) and the hoods become less comfortable; I'd happily upgrade to tiagra or 105 to overcome that (and have done); I don't think I'd rush out to buy Ultegra or Dura Ace though.
so is the faulty design that makes it difficult for me to reach the thumb triggers rather than my own novelty on my san remo bike. I have spent too much on bikes and accessories lately to think of changing any component for now.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
What kind of bikes do you own. I read some where that campagnolo gears are nice and accurate but clunky! whatever that means
Colnago's and a cross bike, all steel and all hand made. Yes Campag is sometimes describes as "clunky" but in fact its more of a precise "click" when the gears engage. If set up correctly Campag is very precise but as I said earlier, most should preform OK if set up right and maintained.

Steve H

Large Member
I think the key advantages of spending more are weight, and speed & smoothness of gear changes. It is definitely a law of diminishing returns, therefore unless you are an elite rider aiming to shave fractions of seconds off your times, it is unlikely the upper end of the spectrum is going to make much difference to the rest of us.

The bottom end of the range can feel a bit clunky at times, but I think you get used to what you have.

so is the faulty design that makes it difficult for me to reach the thumb triggers rather than my own novelty on my san remo bike. I have spent too much on bikes and accessories lately to think of changing any component for now.
Probably, the shifter is just to small to be reached comfortably. Campy do a similar design but with a bigger thumb trigger which I can reach from everywhere on the bars. Sora works though, so I'd rather have that than nothing :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

Gbola

Probably, the shifter is just to small to be reached comfortably. Campy do a similar design but with a bigger thumb trigger which I can reach from everywhere on the bars. Sora works though, so I'd rather have that than nothing :thumbsup:
Yes it does work. I am just wondering, SRAMs are hardly mentioned when talking about gear shifters. Are they 3 tier compared to Shimanos and Campagnolos?

Yes it does work. I am just wondering, SRAMs are hardly mentioned when talking about gear shifters. Are they 3 tier compared to Shimanos and Campagnolos?
Sram is more of a new kid on the block in terms of racing bikes but more and more pro teams are going with it and some say its better than Shimano and Campy, its a different system I've never tried though, so I cant qualify that opinion but its definitely not 3rd tier :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

Gbola

Sram is more of a new kid on the block in terms of racing bikes but more and more pro teams are going with it and some say its better than Shimano and Campy, its a different system I've never tried though, so I cant qualify that opinion but its definitely not 3rd tier :thumbsup:
I was just wondering as I have SRAMX5 om my boardman which is doing really fine just like the shimano sora on san remo.

Svendo

Guru
I suspect the number of pro teams using SRAM is as much to do with money and sponsorship, as anything else, given all manufacturers kit works more than well enough. I've always thought Sora's not-from-the-drops thumb lever is a deliberate flaw to differentiate it from Tiagra and up, as said above, Campy make a thumb lever work fine.
A related question would be, given SRAM cover the market with 3 levels of groupset (with Apex sort of to the side) and Campagnola dropped its two bottom level gruppos a few years ago and Shimano have 2300 below Sora (and I think even simpler non-series for budget manufactures), which groupsets have the least difference between them?
I wonder if it isn't actually 105 and Ultegra?

I was just wondering as I have SRAMX5 om my boardman which is doing really fine just like the shimano sora on san remo.
I don't think I've heard anything bad about SRAM but I'm not sure where exactly X5 fit in their/ with other hierarchy but as long as its working and you are happy with it its a good mech. From the sounds of reviews the double tap is certainly better than sora :thumbsup:

Top Bottom