What digital camera commands are worth learning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Just got a Lumix off ebay and the instructions have got my head in a spin. So many options, so little brain. I've always used digital cameras just point & shoot (and this one has a setting called Intelligent Auto, which sounds just the thing) but is there any benefit in learning a bit more about white balance, ISO and the like? Any tips much appreciated.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Auto :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get a book. I even did a days course, then forgot everything. :laugh:

ISO and shutter speeds worth learning (forgot them) as are the f stops - at least with digital you can make a complete mess and delete it.

tyred

Legendary Member
My digital is on auto all the time time. Don't see any point in anything else.

If I want to be artistic, I use a fully manual SLR with balck and white film.

mossj88

Low ISO, fine picture but dark pictures
High ISO, Grainy picture but light pictures

Short Shutter Speed, dark pictures but less camera shake
Long Shutter Speed, light pictures but more camera shake

Can't remember the rest but TBH the cameras are setup by people that know their stuff so AUTO should work just about fine.

Saddle bum

Über Member
If you look up your camera on youtube, there is generally some geek who will show you all you need to know.

[Just bought an Olympus off Ebay after going through the youtube loop].

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Short shutter speed for fast moving objects, long shutter speed for low light conditions (especially for interiors). Low F stops for low light moving objects
fshutter.jpg Shutter speed 2000
lshutter.jpg Shutter speed 8 seconds
fstop.jpg F stop 1.8

Doseone

Guru
Really depends what you want to do. If you are just taking snaps under fairly normal conditions then auto or intelligent auto will do just fine. However if you start wanting to take pictures as an art form, or you want take pictures in more challenging conditions eg low light then you're going to need to read the manual and do the youtube thing.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all. I don't actually have any artistic pretensions, but I shall follow up the youtube tip....don't know why I didn't think of it. Fantastic dolphin pic BTW - nice one.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I tend to 'learn' Auto, Zoom, Flash on/off, Panorama/image stitching, video, and then see how I get on with it. Then I will have a play with the other setting once I am confident of getting it back to where it worked before.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
just remember that what your eyes see and the camera captures will never be the same, unless you get creative with your camera. Google "High Dynamic Range".....your eyes see in HDR, but your camera doesn't record it.

P.H

Über Member
It's worth understanding the basics of shutter speed, ISO and aperture to understand what the picture is going to turn out like, or to get the second shot right if you're dissatisfied with the first. You can still leave it auto, but when you half press the shutter and get the information you'll be able to adjust accordingly.
Which Lumix is it? I'm a bit of a Panasonic fan, mainly because I find the controls so easy to use.

Top Bottom