What Do I Need To Shorten The Stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Hi guys
I have a Dawes hybrid like this...
$_86.JPG

I've ridden it twice since I got it last year due to a) having major surgery and b) finding it was hurting my shoulders (I have arthritis in my neck).

Yesterday I made the decision that I wanted to ride it more this summer, instead of it being stuck in the spare room.
So, I adjusted the handlebars (they are adjustable as you can probably see) and although I haven't ridden it, it still feels uncomfortable, as I have to really stretch forward.
I was chatting to @Pat "5mph" last night and she gave me some good suggestions :smile:

But....I am not technical, and I do not have a clue about exactly what I need, to make the stem shorter (?).
It's a quill stem but I believe there is something that will work to allow the reach to be shortened (from discussion with Pat I think that's what I need to do!).
Could you lovely people link to exactly what I need?

PS It's a 2014 Dawes Mojave.

On top of the stem you'll find a bolt, perhaps hidden behind a plastic cap. This will be a 6mm allen key bolt. It is in line with the steerer, in other words, it faces downward along the fork. Loosen the bolt and smack the stem downwards with a mallet. It may not require the smack, but 9/10 times it does. Now the stem will be completely loose in the steerer and can be moved down before tightening the bolt again. The trick is to get the handlebars perfectly perpendicular to the bike before tightening.

As a safety measure after tightening, stand in front of the bike facing its rear. Clamp the wheel between your legs and violently jerk the bars left and right to see if they are tight.

Go ride. Drink beer, it helps with all sorts of ailments and makes most people more agreeable.

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
Can you move the saddle forward?
I think I probably can. I did think about the saddle yesterday when I was looking at adjusting the handlebars etc.
I'll give it another look today, along with all the other suggestions :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Moving the saddle forwards is a bit risky because it moves where you are relative to the pedals. At best, the swaddle will also need to be raised.

Spin the stem, raise the tilt on it (then relevel the bars in their clamp), change to a short reach one (I've that Raleigh stem on one bike but not ridden it since fitting)... all is possible as long as the steering still works.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It could be that the bike is just too big for you, in which case you would be better off getting a smaller one. Obviously, not what you want to hear, but if your bike setup is anything like the one in the photo and you still feel overstretched, then that might well be the case.

JMAG

Über Member
I have a set of BMX handlebars on my old hybrid for a different reason (kids saddle on the top tube), but a change of handlebars can give a bigger range of adjustment. BMX bars may be OTT, but Dutch style bars may work better and they bring the grips much closer to the rider.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom