What do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Like this...!

Sharky

Guru
Yes something like the above. Just jiggle the smaller keys until you feel them biting and then apply a little force.

Sharky

Guru
And are all crank extractors the same?
Over time there have been differences, but yours looks like the current shimano crank extractors.

But if your plan is now to just change the middle ring,, then you don't need to remove the cranks.

Over time there have been differences, but yours looks like the current shimano crank extractors.

But if your plan is now to just change the middle ring,, then you don't need to remove the cranks.
I looked on ebay and they have crank extractors for square taper.
I no longer have access to the bike so the project is going to have to wait now anyway. Thanks

And are all crank extractors the same?
Not really. Press-on cranks come in three varieties I can think of. Square taper, Octalink and ISIS. The extractor for these three differs slightly, but the problem is usually solved with a little adapter that comes with the extractor. Octalink and ISIS have hollow spindles, so an extractor's contact point that works with square taper, will just disappear inside the hollow. A gadget (usually a little magnetic thingamabob) then fits over the end of the extractor's contact point and covers the hole in the spindle.

When using a crank puller/extractor, always make double sure the crank bolt washers are removed from the crank, otherwise you strip the crank threads.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Will any 5 bolt 36 tooth chainring fit?
Your crankset probably requires a 110mm BCD ring but well worth measuring (when you get access to the bike again) before purchase.
Sheldon Brown's cribsheet will allow you to identify the BCD from a measurement of the distance between two adjacent bolt holes (c-c).
Spa Cycles is a good source of chainrings.
As @Sharky says, you don't need to remove the crank to replace the middle/outer chainrings.

Last edited:

silva

Über Member
Stay away from Octalink, stick with square taper.
I did the opposite (st to Octa), as an attempt to get rid of a rather big new chain tension variation that I didn't have with two older bikes equipped with Octalink v2 (Hollowtech) that wasn't an option now due to chainline.
The attempt failed that goal - still the same tension variation.
But now I have Octalink 1 and I've read several times here what you say here again.
Can you explain what the problem(s) is (are)?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I understand that that they can come loose, especially if refitting and it's not torqued up sufficiently. If it does come loose then damage may occur and it may not be possible to ever get it tight again. I think Shimano have now discontinued it.
Google "problems with Octalink" for the stories.

Top Bottom