What do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilko

Veteran
I have a bit of a quandary! At the moment I own a 2009 Spesh Sirrus Sport and I am pleased with it. My maximum distance so far is 30 miles, but I want to push on from that and do 100 miles +. My quandary is, which bike to do that on. I am not so bothered about out and out speed, comfort is more important, but on the other hand I don't necessarily want to be touring, so something in between will probably fit the bill, but what? I will have a budget of around £2000. I like Spesh bikes, so thinking Roubaix Comp. Any other ideas?

Oh yes, another thing. What do you guys on road bikes use to carry stuff? I'm thinking tubes, allen keys, sarnies etc

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Your current bike should be fine for 100 miles assuming it's comfortable for that distance (only one way to find out). Of course, if you want a new bike I'm not going to stop you. I could do with another one myself.

Tubes, allen keys (well Multitool), food etc. goes in the jersey pocket. You can use some sort of seat pack if you need to carry a bit more (but get a good-sized one, I find those tiny ones a bit useless).

The Roubaix Comp looks good but why oh why do they have to stick a pair of Aksiums with a £2k bike?

Try and do a deal and get the bike with a pair of Campag Zonda's or Mavic Ksyrium Elites - it will be a 100% better bike for it.

GrasB

Veteran
Why do you want a new bike? If you looking for a reason long rides aren't it & you'll end up disappointed imo. I'd go for longer rides on your current bike & find out if there's a problem with it for you. From there you can fix that problem with upgrades or a new bike.

Noodley

wilko said:
You're all a bunch of spoilsports. I wanted you to say yes go and buy the Roubiax! :laugh:

Go and buy a new bike. Nothing wrong with that at all. You can still ride a 100 miles on your current bike.

But for 2 grand you can get better than Roubaix :biggrin::biggrin:

Norm

wilko said:
You're all a bunch of spoilsports. I wanted you to say yes go and buy the Roubiax! :biggrin:
As the proud owner of a Secteur (the cheap Roubaix), I'd always advise that as an excellent solution. Bear in mind, though, that n+1 is never enough. :laugh:

OP
OP
wilko

wilko

Veteran
Well, you are all right of course. I don't really need another bike, my Sirrus will cope with 100+ easily, I just fancied a drop bar bike. But your answers are a good reality check, you may have just saved me £2000!

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
go on, buy a new bike !!!!! :thumbsup::hyper:

as for carrying things... pink string !?!?!?!?

with a bit of pink string you can carry anything...

bicycles-in-shanghai.jpg

Randochap

Senior hunter
You never need a reason for a new bike. New bikes are their own reason.

Sport-tourers, or "audax" bikes as they're often called in the UK, are a good way to go. I discuss long-distance bikes @ VeloWeb, under "randonneuring." I have a few examples.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Except for the Secteur Elite of course ;)

Norm said:
As the proud owner of a Secteur (the cheap Roubaix), I'd always advise that as an excellent solution. Bear in mind, though, that n+1 is never enough. :blush:

Top Bottom