What do people look for in a Sportive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BikeGirlKent

As i have posted previously, I'm new to doing Sportives, want a challenge as I ride a lot! But there are so many around now I've looked into it and wonder what others look for or how you choose which ones to enter? Id like to do a fair few next year to give myself a goal, just interested how people go about it all and what they look for?

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I've only done one where I just found a local one and went and did it. You will want to consider distance, gradients, etc. I see a lot of negative comments on here (regarding Sportives) from some, but I really enjoyed the one I did and the organisers made a great job of choosing a great route that I'd never have found by myself.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
As i have posted previously, I'm new to doing Sportives, want a challenge as I ride a lot! But there are so many around now I've looked into it and wonder what others look for or how you choose which ones to enter? Id like to do a fair few next year to give myself a goal, just interested how people go about it all and what they look for?
I've done a few but am never massively drawn to local versions (I can ride those roads for free after all)

I like to have a stab at Flanders (am signed up for 2017)

Despite my initial comment I did the ride London 100 a week or so ago for the experience of riding in my usual roads, while they were closed.

Have you considered joining a club if you just want to get out riding a bit more?

OP
OP
BikeGirlKent

BikeGirlKent

I've only done one where I just found a local one and went and did it. You will want to consider distance, gradients, etc. I see a lot of negative comments on here (regarding Sportives) from some, but I really enjoyed the one I did and the organisers made a great job of choosing a great route that I'd never have found by myself.
It does seem appealing as I'm quite good at getting lost when I'm out on my own!!

OP
OP
BikeGirlKent

BikeGirlKent

I've done a few but am never massively drawn to local versions (I can ride those roads for free after all)

I like to have a stab at Flanders (am signed up for 2017)

Despite my initial comment I did the ride London 100 a week or so ago for the experience of riding in my usual roads, while they were closed.

Have you considered joining a club if you just want to get out riding a bit more?
I ride with friends and some racers but looking for a new challenge...I might just dip my toe for my first one that Cyclopark are running in October, seems a good place to start. Id love to do ride London! Seems a great event!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's quite a broad church. Ranges from the big closed roads, timing chip equipped affairs to an open ride put on by a club that they decide to call a Sportive. I've done a couple of Evans Ride it Sportives which are sort of middle ground.

It depends what you want out of it.

My main reason for doing these things is if some friends are doing it, it can provide a focal point for meeting up, preferably with a nice route that's convenient to get to. Others may have different reasons. You may have your eye on a challenging route and may want the structure of an event to give you some motivation. You may fancy just having somewhere to park at the start/end. Some sportives list finishers in time bands, and you may want to or challenge yourself, or impress your friends, by finishing in a faster band.

Also have a look at Audaxes on www.aukweb.net. Tend to be longer (shorter routes do exist, but the bread-and-butter is the Brevet Randonneur, which is 200k). But basically, it's just riding your bike along the road, at the same time as some other people. Same as a sportive. They're not very different except at the extremes where they are very different indeed (an extreme example of a Sportive being Ride London 100, and extreme example of an Audax being London-Edinburgh-London).

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I did one sportive for the challenge. It was a pricey way to have fun but I was pleased with myself for completing it. Then I discovered Audaxes... Just as challenging, only a fraction of the price with proceeds often going to charity, other riders were much friendlier with less of a need to race, and the food on offer was tastier and made of real ingredients and served on plates instead of sickly gels in plastic. YMMV.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
It does seem appealing as I'm quite good at getting lost when I'm out on my own!!
Me too, so that's another advantage of the organised ride. Well placed food stops are also an advantage, few things are worse than being lost and hungry :O

OP
OP
BikeGirlKent

BikeGirlKent

It's quite a broad church. Ranges from the big closed roads, timing chip equipped affairs to an open ride put on by a club that they decide to call a Sportive. I've done a couple of Evans Ride it Sportives which are sort of middle ground.

It depends what you want out of it.

My main reason for doing these things is if some friends are doing it, it can provide a focal point for meeting up, preferably with a nice route that's convenient to get to. Others may have different reasons. You may have your eye on a challenging route and may want the structure of an event to give you some motivation. You may fancy just having somewhere to park at the start/end. Some sportives list finishers in time bands, and you may want to or challenge yourself, or impress your friends, by finishing in a faster band.

Also have a look at Audaxes on www.aukweb.net. Tend to be longer (shorter routes do exist, but the bread-and-butter is the Brevet Randonneur, which is 200k). But basically, it's just riding your bike along the road, at the same time as some other people. Same as a sportive. They're not very different except at the extremes where they are very different indeed (an extreme example of a Sportive being Ride London 100, and extreme example of an Audax being London-Edinburgh-London).
brilliant Info thank you

Top Bottom