What do they expect??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
Hairy Jock said:
Being positioned to turn right is a signal in its self, you don't need to stand there with arm stuck out...

+1...if I didn't rely on road position I would have gone over the bonnet of numerous cars this evening who didn't bother indicating at roundabouts! :smile:

Plax said:
Noob question - what is trackstanding?

Try stopping without putting your feet on the floor. It's that basically. I nearly managed one yesterday, but then chickened out, put my foot down the same second the lights went amber - doh!

Plax

Guru
thomas said:
Try stopping without putting your feet on the floor. It's that basically. I nearly managed one yesterday, but then chickened out, put my foot down the same second the lights went amber - doh!

I see. I find it hard enough cycling really slowly whilst looking over my shoulder and signalling, so I think I shall give "trackstanding" a miss!

c2c

redredrobin
Maz said:
That's not right, Joe24.
You have 2 options here:
would have or
would've.

[end of pedant mode]

hurrah. i support your pedancy.......... a pedant correcting a peasant.????. not sure about the "would`ve." though

Goffins

Hairy Jock said:
Being positioned to turn right is a signal in its self, you don't need to stand there with arm stuck out...

Agreed, people on this forum are beyond a joke.
I swear it has a plethora of Motorists simply posing as cyclists.

thomas

the tank engine
hackbike 666 said:
What fixie couriers do in London to look 'cool'.

haha...my attempt at track standing involves rolling towards the light at about 1 mph in the hope that it'll turn green before I reach the white line :evil:

Maybe it should be called Track Rolling or something.

Plax said:
I see. I find it hard enough cycling really slowly whilst looking over my shoulder and signalling, so I think I shall give "trackstanding" a miss!

I think one of the better ways to learn is to get someone to hold your rear wheel between their legs and then slowly open them, so you can't actually fall off, but get your balance a bit. If I could, I would. I'd like to be able to, but not enough to actually bother learning :smile:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
hackbike 666 said:
What fixie couriers do in London to look 'cool'.

Or what someone who rides fixed does to not have to keep clipping in and unclipping.
Its a trackstand, so was first done on the track. Not a courierstand:rolleyes:
You should be doing it sat down with your arm out signaling i think;)

Joe24 said:
Or what someone who rides fixed does to not have to keep clipping in and unclipping.
Its a trackstand, so was first done on the track. Not a courierstand:rolleyes:
You should be doing it sat down with your arm out signaling i think;)

Eh? I rode fixie before half these comedians were born.(almost):blush:

The old story is I went into a bike shop when I was about as young as you and said I wanted fixed wheel only to be told that fixed wheel was for old men.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
hackbike 666 said:
Eh? I rode fixie before half these comedians were born.(almost):blush:

The old story is I went into a bike shop when I was about as young as you and said I wanted fixed wheel only to be told that fixed wheel was for old men.

It is. I aspire to that. I have old cycling shoes, leather helmet, woolen jersey, socks pulled right up, rack and full mudguards...................

OP
OP
dudi

dudi

Nah, the guy knew where I was going...
I had signalled and manouvered properly on the approach to the junction as I always do.

He was just impatient as far as I can tell.

The point about whether it was a helpful toot-toot is possibly valid... although I hope motorists don't think that the use of their horn is helpful. because it isn't. it's quite startling to have a horn blast next to you as the car goes past.

As for fixies being for old men... i agree. it doesn't suit these young trendies.

Trackstanding for me is just for ease... either a full on stationary trackstand or a slow roll... it's just easier than clipping in and out.

meh... i'm calm now.

As for fixies being for old men... i agree. it doesn't suit these young trendies.

Never said that although fixies are more common now.It seems the young trendies seem to have fixies now as it makes them trendy,whereas when I wanted one I think genuinly at the time older people did seem to ride them.

epicurus.

Hairy Jock said:

Goffins said:
Agreed, people on this forum are beyond a joke.
I swear it has a plethora of Motorists simply posing as cyclists.

Yes of course. Although I cycle quite a lot, I do sometimes drive a car. Never use the indicators, though, because my cycling experience has told me that road positioning alone is enough of a signal.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm afraid I'm in the hand signal camp. You're relying on the car driver to think about one more thing. If their state of mind isn't 100% then that may be one thing too many. Sorry.

thomas

the tank engine
epicurus. said:
Yes of course. Although I cycle quite a lot, I do sometimes drive a car. Never use the indicators, though, because my cycling experience has told me that road positioning alone is enough of a signal.

-1! :evil:

Top Bottom