What do they expect??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dudi

OK,

on the way home today, I'm trackstanding waiting to go into my street, it's a right hand turn off a medium/quiet road.

There I am, waiting right next to a junction, about 3/4 the way across the lane and it's quite obvious to anyone looking that I am waiting to turn right - there are cars coming the other way.

Some impatient knobber behind me squeezes up on the inside of me, with a couple of inches to spare and toots his horn as he eases his way past me to carry on down the road.

Now I took this hooting to mean "get out of the way" so said (shouted) "where do you think i'm going?" meaning it's pretty obvious I wasnt waiting there for the hell of it.

He gave me the finder and sped off...

What the hell do these people expect if they squeeze up on the inside and honk their horn in your ear?

pillock.

than ks for listening/reading.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
bloody cyclists :smile:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I would of done a side on trackstand, or, when noticing him trying to get past, started to move the bike back to block him even more:laugh:
It annoys me when you have someone come up right behind you when your trackstanding, what i do is start to move back so my back wheel is nearly touching their lovely car:thumbsup:

jpatterson

I now try to go out with the notion that every f***er is in a rush and not thinking straight, and I try to ride accordingly

jimboalee

The way to turn right off a major into a minor is to...

Look behind you well ahead.
SIGNAL.
Move to the crown of the road, SIGNALING.

If the traffic is heavy, ride past the junction slowly still SIGNALING.

When there is a gap in the traffic flow, do a quick U turn and then turn left into the minor.

If you are able to do a trackstand and SIGNAL simultaneously, it is still a bad idea to stand still in the middle of a busy road.

epicurus.

dudi said:
What the hell do these people expect

As jimboalee points out, they expect road users who are waiting to turn right to signal a right turn. It's not clear from your description that you did.

skwerl

I'm guessing he wasn't signalling. Don't expect anyone to assume they know what you're intentions are - all road users are told to assume nothing - that's when things go tits-up.
That said, the car didn't need to hoot his horn, he managed to get past so what's his problem?

Will1985

Über Member
I don't see what dudi did wrong. I'm reguarly in the same situation - I signal and slow before reaching the junction and then trackstand close to the centre line until there is a gap. Oncoming cars know what you want to do without needing to signal and so should cars from behind.
Signalling whilst waiting sounds dangerous to me, particularly if you need to clip in - unless an oncoming car flashes to let you across, you're looking for a suitable gap and need to be ready to safely move off.

Any chance the driver was just giving a friendly "I'm here and coming past" beep ? There was room, it was a valid undertake, it was a beep, there was no yelling until dudi yelled at the driver. Just because we ride bikes doesn't mean we are inferior NOR that we are superior.

Bodhbh

Guru
Well if you were trackstanding not everyone might understand you were waiting to turn off. Someone might have thought you were fannying about in the middle of the road.

Maz

Guru
Bodhbh said:
Well if you were trackstanding not everyone might understand you were waiting to turn off. Someone might have thought you were fannying about in the middle of the road.
Good point. And were you indicating right as well, dudi?

Goffins

Bodhbh said:

Yes, the amount of bikers I see trackstanding in the middle of the road for no apparent reason is increasing exponentially *rolleyes smiley*

thomas

the tank engine
epicurus. said:
As jimboalee points out, they expect road users who are waiting to turn right to signal a right turn. It's not clear from your description that you did.

If he undertook I would assume he realised he was turning right - as undertaking is only legal when the person is going to turn the other way.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
jimboalee said:
The way to turn right off a major into a minor is to...

Look behind you well ahead.
SIGNAL.
Move to the crown of the road, SIGNALING.

If the traffic is heavy, ride past the junction slowly still SIGNALING.

When there is a gap in the traffic flow, do a quick U turn and then turn left into the minor.

If you are able to do a trackstand and SIGNAL simultaneously, it is still a bad idea to stand still in the middle of a busy road.

Being positioned to turn right is a signal in its self, you don't need to stand there with arm stuck out...

Top Bottom