What do we think about this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My climbing/skiing pal is under pressure from his GF to go along to a self-awareness session at the Institute for Self Actualisation http://www.isaexperience.com/whatis.html

I have strong opinions on all this self-awareness bullshit; I believe it's nothing more than a way of exploiting people's insecurities and worries for the purpose of making money. My brother in the USA is completely entrapped by the American insecurity industry and it's affecting his state of mind.

What do others on this forum think?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'm with p t barnum, there's one born every minute :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
After a very brief look, I agree it's probably hokum. However, I'm also well aware of the placebo effect. Just because something is hokum, doesn't mean it won't do some good...

I can't see me ever wanting to do it, and I suspect he could get the same effects for free if he had the right sort of encouraging friends, but in the end, I suppose it's his money?

I think his first step ought to be to know why his gf thinks he needs to do it - is he unhappy? unfulfilled? is she just a bit of a nutcase about this sort of thing? If he knew that, he might well be half way to solving the 'problem' anyway....

Rigid Raider said:
My climbing/skiing pal is under pressure from his GF to go along to a self-awareness session at the Institute for Self Actualisation http://www.isaexperience.com/whatis.html

I have strong opinions on all this self-awareness bullshit; I believe it's nothing more than a way of exploiting people's insecurities and worries for the purpose of making money. My brother in the USA is completely entrapped by the American insecurity industry and it's affecting his state of mind.

What do others on this forum think?

Ha ha!:biggrin:

Gave birth to the 'do gooder' / 'wonderful experience - pass it on or else...' emails too I reckon:sad:
Arch has a point though.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Regardless of the subject matter, his GF shouldn't put him under pressure to potentially change his way of thinking/his feelings etc.
Anything like this, the individual should arrive at it of their own volition. :biggrin:

red_tom

In truth, we only attended the first night of the seminar- that was more than enough to convince us both that we were dealing with a cult and, more specifically, scientology. There was the immediate sensory deprivation- no water, not being allowed to go to the toilet, the taking off of watches etc.- and the fact that Cat and I were not allowed to communicate to eachother at all; during breaks someone always interrupted us if we were talking.

http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/3/407.html

Bugger that.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Bluddy hell! That Factnet stuff is worrying! I'll send the link to my pal straight away.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
He should just take up cycling instead. Or stick with the climbing etc. Deffo ditch the gf before she gets all cultish on his ass.

red_tom

Arch said:
Yes, having read that, i wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Suggest he gets a better girlfriend...

These things are immensely powerful and controlling. She might need help to get out of it rather than ditching.

domtyler

Über Member
Fnaar said:
He should just take up cycling instead. Or stick with the climbing etc. Deffo ditch the gf before she gets all cultish on his ass.

Agree, but try and make sure he gets as much sex as possible first though. (for old times sake etc.)

Top Bottom