What do you actually get out of cycling............?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
WozzaTT

WozzaTT

Freedom, like being a kid again, a sense of well-being, riding through puddles with that satisfying 'swish' the tyres make, gravel crunching under the tyres, fresh air, the wind - if it's not too strong - the feel of a well-running bike beneath me, the soft whir of the chain, the tyres on the road, smiling for no particular reason, saying 'Hello' to people I don't know, pretending I don't have a care in the world for a while, deciding where to go when I don't really have to go anywhere but I just feel like doing it, scenery, dappled shade on quiet minor roads, imagining that all the motorists that pass me envy me even if they don't, not thinking about anything special, standing on the pedals to ride up a hill, free-wheeling downhill, shiney spokes in the sunshine... lots of things.

Strangely, I find I often have to make the effort to go out and do it, even though I know how much I enjoy it once I'm out there. I'm currently riding a pretty old Dawes Discovery, nothing fancy, Mr Sedate, and I've swapped the drop-bars for almost flats, and 27 inch wheels for 700c's, and put on a very heavy rear rack, so each time I ride it now I'm trying out the new-ish bits I've added, and I'm loving how it all feels 'just right' for me, soooo there's also the satisfaction of swapping out these other parts then finding how well they all work together.

Yep, that's about it. (Sorry it's an essay.)

Nice!! Very literary! :smile:

OP
OP
WozzaTT

WozzaTT

Cycling makes me feel good, as does all exercise. It releases old dolphins or something*, and as we all know, old dolphins make you feel good!

*Yes, I know.

Yes, I'm looking forward to rediscovering a few of the old dolphins ;).

Top Bottom