What do you actually get out of cycling............?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WozzaTT

Might seem a strange question but I'm sure there are many reasons why people go out on their bikes (I'm thinking specifically road bikes but doesn't have to be) i.e. general fitness, to lose weight, stress management, the social side if riding with others, just to get out of the house for a while etc etc.

Reason I'm asking is that I've got my eye on a road bike but, like many people I guess, I'm a bugger for deciding I'll get into a new hobby, buy all the gear, and then it doesn't last. I'm 45 and haven't really ridden a bike since I was a kid (dad had a Claude Butler which I believe was a decent make). My reasons for wanting to get out on a bike are to lose a bit of weight, get fit, get out of the house (I work from home all day every day at the moment), compete against myself (using an app or whatever to track progress) and dare I say it................to have fun!

Anyway, just looking for a bit of reassurance really that people actually enjoy cycling, rather than force themselves to go out as a method of keeping fit. I see lots of 'proper' cyclists out on the country roads near me at the moment, grimacing in apparent agony.

Also, what do you all do during those long, cold, wet, windy winter months? Do you still go out? I don't really want a hobby I can only indulge in for 6 months of the year.

So tell me why you cycle and why you love it, if you do?!

PS mods - feel free to move to another forum if appropriate, I wasn't quite sure where to ask.

Reactions: _aD

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I started cycling to lose weight and found out I really enjoy it, I commute so cycle all year round regardless of the weather.

If you are unsure whether or not you will stick with it, go down the second hand route

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
My underlying reason is to lose weight and get fitter.

The reason I cycle as oppose to jog, go to gym, swim etc ... is that doing 30mph down a hill/track/road while clinging on for dear life is inherently exciting in a way a lot of other forms of exercise aren't.

Riding bikes is fun or I doubt I'd do it.

OP
OP
WozzaTT

WozzaTT

My underlying reason is to lose weight and get fitter.

The reason I cycle as oppose to jog, go to gym, swim etc ... is that doing 30mph down a hill/track/road while clinging on for dear life is inherently exciting in a way a lot of other forms of exercise aren't.

Riding bikes is fun or I doubt I'd do it.

Good answer!! I hadn't really thought of there being an 'exciting' element to it. I find the gym and swimming etc boring too, so this looks like a definite plus for cycling.

sidevalve

Über Member
Why do people go mountain climbing or sailing ? Of course there is the "get to work" or "keep fit" aspect of riding but the pleasure of a good ride is more than that. I returned to riding a little while ago after a gap of [too many] years and although I don't do many miles I still enjoy it. As for riding in the winter well each to his/her own on that. I don't ride in the p-----g rain but you will find there are many cold dry days when riding a bike is still enjoyable.
I agree with the above - don't spend bucketfulls of cash on new expensive kit at first, you can always do that later.
I ride a m/cycle too and there is an old phrase that sums up both hobbys "if I have to explain - you wouldn't understand". You too will be saying this when you've been riding for a short while.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Initial reason was to get fit and commute to work. As I did more of it my wife got involved, so we'd go on leisure rides together. I made my commute longer. I signed up for Ride London this year. Now we ride together for fun, I go on rides for fun, I still commute every day and it still saves me money and keeps me fitter. We ride through the year although won't necessarily go out on a 'fun' ride if the weather is foul. I commute all through the year so I get to ride in all weathers (up to and including snow) anyway. My wife has just started commuting a couple of days a week.

I was worried I wouldn't stick at it, so I bought second hand initially. My second and third purchases were new. Similarly we went second hand for my wife first time round, then new when she was hooked.

Because of the Sportive I've now joined the Fridays (kind of like a club :-) ) and will be doing social rides with them as well as Sunday ride outs with my LBS. I can't see me doing lots of Sportives though. I'm too tight to pay people to let me ride open roads I could go and ride anyway. I guess this outlook may change in a couple of weeks...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Initially started cycling (again) to commute the one and a half miles to the station and back and to also lose weight (nearly 4stone). Found out that even though initially it was such hard work that nearly killed me... I bloody loved it.

8 years down the line I do a 35 mile round commute (when it's 24 direct) in all weathers and am out every weekend doing a 100+ miler.

In regards to the winter, it rains less then you think. Some winter days are absolutely stunning cycling weather. Cold is never an issue if you kit up correctly.

Get a decent specced bike, get out on some rides and/or find a informal group/club or if you are inclined a roadie club. Give it a few months and you will know if you like cycling or not.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
My main reasons are fitness and weigh loss. I also enjoy a short break from the family. I've joined a cycling club so the social side will come too but that's a bonus.

I took up cycling as I have a tear in my shoulder which has stopped me playing golf but isn't aggravated when on the bike.

I currently prefer MTB as there are plenty of cycle tracks around me r7 and r14C2C being the closest.

PK99

Legendary Member
Fitness.
Companionship
Friends
Good pain as opposed to bad pain!
A fantastic hot shower after a tinglingly cold winter ride.
Coffee craik and cake with strangers in random tea shops.
Freedom.
The open road.
Zillions of potential purchase to ponder.
Challenge.
Achievement.
Wind in my hair on a hot hot summer's day.
Beer at the end of a hard day.
A sense of community.
Ie all the things that make life worth living!

Since retiring it became obvious that the next thing on the agenda was death :ohmy: so I needed something to put of the day. I had cycled before but not for a good few years. In the last year I have:
  • lost ~ 16lbs
  • reduced my hypertension medication by more than half
  • reduced my diabetes medication also by more than half
  • become fitter than I've been in years
  • regretted not doing it many years ago.

vickster

Legendary Member
Before my accident, enjoyment, relaxation, stress release, get out the house, off the sofa, weight control (I'm not one of these people who can get on a bike and ctually drop a stone in a month regardless of diet)

Now, I am not so sure...it's more a chore than a pleasure, with a nervy feeling every time a car goes past or a van sits behind me revving away in first gear waiting to overtake :sad: My bikes do get ridden a bit but they are also starting to annoy me sitting in the lounge :sad:

Now my private HC provider are refusing to pay out for more physio, will probably end up riding even less

:sad:

Top Bottom