What do you actually get out of cycling............?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just enjoy the achievement of each ride I do, the more extreme the weather the more I seem to enjoy the end result.
Just because someone is all dressed up in lycra and riding an expensive road bike, doesn't always make them a proper cyclist, a proper cyclist is one that observes the rules according to where they are riding, curtsey to others, and as @vickster says make others a wear of you and your position and as @Supersuperleeds says in all weathers, as so proper cyclist you never see over the winter or least only on the good days ( I know many do ride in all weathers)

lesley_x

Über Member
I like feeling fit and healthy and challenging myself and achieving and stuff. Exercise is so good for my mental wellbeing.
Transport - I can combine a hobby with something functional
Cheaper than fuel and parking

For example, last week I cycled into the botanic gardens, kindle in backpack, lay and chilled for an hour. Then I got up, totally relaxed and went to Tescos on the way home for my shopping. Awesome.
And I don't know why but whenever I get on my bike, even before I've turned a pedal, a big smile spreads across my face. I think it taps into that feeling of being a kid and free or something :bicycle:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't have a reason. I've been cycling for fifty years albeit with the odd break, all I know is the first time I rode an adult bike age 13 I fell in love with it and when my mates eventually gave up, as most do, I sought out like minded souls by joining a club.

Why do I love it? I haven't a clue and couldn't care less.

robjh

Legendary Member
Just because it's a tremendously enjoyable way of getting around. Sitting in a car I feel lazy, inactive and slightly guilty, and wish I was outside feeling the fresh air and the elements. There's very little weather when I wouldn't ride if it is practical do so.
I arrive at work feeling just, well, good and happy and healthy. And I can't deny a certain sense of superiority over my lumpen car-bound colleagues, whom I see as stuck in a rut and lacking imagination (although I don't always tell them that).
I like knowing that I am fit, but that is some way down the list - more like a happy by-product.
I also love it for tours and long leisure rides - it is a great way to pass through a landscape, with a sense of involvement that you will never get from behind a windscreen.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
+1

It's been freedom for me since i was about 7 ( i'm 46 now :eek: ) and it's got better every day since. It's also enabled me to see parts of the world i probably wouldn't have otherwise and i have found some terrific friends along the way.

What's not to like ?

Last edited:

Big Nick

I started working a lot closer to home so started cycle commuting on my 20 year old mtb and slowly got into it.

I like going places under my own power where I consume the fuel rather than the car engine!!

I've only lost around half a stone in weight but to be honest it was more for regular exercise as my job is now mainly office based.

sutts

I got into it to lose a bit of weight initially. I lost 2 stone some 15 months ago and it's still off. I live some 10 minutes from as much English countryside as a person could ever imagine..yet until I cycled I never really knew it was there! For sure, I drove down the lanes a few times in my life, but I had no idea what was going on around me, now I swerve for a bump in the road without even consciously thinking about it! I never even knew that there was a lake a few miles from where I lived...how the hell did that get there, I was clueless! The English countryside is breath-taking and you need to get out there!

Is it all honey? No, it's bloody hard work at times. For sure, in summer it's great, and even winter is ok if you are wrapped up, but it's easier to stay in sometimes when the wind is strong and the rain is lashing down. For the most part though, I feel positively alive...and it's one of the biggest regrets of my life that I didn't do this as a youngster, because it would have been better than the 320.000 cigarettes I puffed away for 22 years in my late teens, 20's and 30's (and that's a conservative estimate)!

I did 8700 miles in my first year and I am really, really proud of that! Is anyone proud sitting indoors watching TV?

Get on that bike!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I got into it to lose a bit of weight initially. I lost 2 stone some 15 months ago and it's still off. I live some 10 minutes from as much English countryside as a person could ever imagine..yet until I cycled I never really knew it was there! For sure, I drove down the lanes a few times in my life, but I had no idea what was going on around me, now I swerve for a bump in the road without even consciously thinking about it! I never even knew that there was a lake a few miles from where I lived...how the hell did that get there, I was clueless! The English countryside is breath-taking and you need to get out there!

Is it all honey? No, it's bloody hard work at times. For sure, in summer it's great, and even winter is ok if you are wrapped up, but it's easier to stay in sometimes when the wind is strong and the rain is lashing down. For the most part though, I feel positively alive...and it's one of the biggest regrets of my life that I didn't do this as a youngster, because it would have been better than the 320.000 cigarettes I puffed away for 22 years in my late teens, 20's and 30's (and that's a conservative estimate)!

I did 8700 miles in my first year and I am really, really proud of that! Is anyone proud sitting indoors watching TV?

Get on that bike!

Good post! I 'liked' it.

However, I am definitely proud sitting indoors watching TV when Chelsea are winning. :laugh:

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I get to be a camera cyclist who can upload naughty drivers to the internet........ Wait I'm sure the PR team told to to say something different.

jnrmczip

Cycling is a thing I always wanted to be involved in as I enjoyed it as a kid. I choose to take it up now so I could not only get fitter and travel to and from work quicker but also so I could meet new people and take on some challenges. Maybe even make some money for charity events. I think everyone has their own reason. I do suggest not jumping straight in and buying a bike encase it is just a thought and you aren't committed to carry it through. My personal approach was building a bike from 3 old bikes that were in the garage broken and commuting to work to see if I still enjoyed it as much. Turns out I did so I have now taken the next step into buying an entry level road bike and joining this site to start taking on bigger cycles.

Top Bottom