What do you actually get out of cycling............?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Thanks! I don't 'do' football...so no idea if Chelsea win often or not! :tongue:

They don't win at all. In fact they're crap, and last season propped up the Evo Stick Division South.*

*I may have made that up

hepburn

Well...initially I started cycling a couple of years ago because I wanted a nice bum! Then I went out on a few cycle paths near home and found I really enjoyed it! I discovered loads of beautiful countryside that's been right on my doorstep for the last 40 years and I never knew :blush: Now my daughter (10) has learnt to ride and we go out together - we did 30 miles together on Sunday. We just treat it as a nice day out and take a picnic.

I just really love the freedom. Sometimes it's tough but it's exhilarating too. If I could ride every day I would.

And my bum has definitely improved :biggrin:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well...initially I started cycling a couple of years ago because I wanted a nice bum! Then I went out on a few cycle paths near home and found I really enjoyed it! I discovered loads of beautiful countryside that's been right on my doorstep for the last 40 years and I never knew :blush: Now my daughter (10) has learnt to ride and we go out together - we did 30 miles together on Sunday. We just treat it as a nice day out and take a picnic.

I just really love the freedom. Sometimes it's tough but it's exhilarating too. If I could ride every day I would.

And my bum has definitely improved :biggrin:
As on many other threads..........................Photos? :whistle:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I guess its because its the only time my head is totally clear . All I think about is my surroundings and the road so I am safe . My mind very rarely wonders when cycling so I get to forget about everything else .
There is also the natural high you get from working hard and the nice cold beer after a ride .

An empty wallet. Lousy bloody hobby, got in to it to loose a bit of weight. I did, thousands of pounds literally. If you don't keep up with the 'training' then the weight piles back on and the effort required after more than a couple of weeks lay off is a killer.

Much as I would love to pack in and avoid the pain I can't give in now what with having 3 bikes to wear out, along with a shed load (no an actual full shed) of spares and accessories and an entire wardrobe of lycra.

The only solution is to try and wear it out quicker, so 200km a week minimum and 500 + in the hols, shoot why did I open the 'found a bargain' thread again :sad:

ayceejay

Guru
My wife hates me, my kids hate me and I am not sure about my four legged 'friend'. If I can get my kit on before she sees another shelf to go up or a lawn to mow I am out the door. I come back later and she says "Four hours, are you ridin' slo mo or what?" sometimes I don't say "what" because that really gets me in trouble.
Man/machine is my motivation oh and the chick I ride with, Beryl.
Sexist Cycle Club member.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
Before my accident, enjoyment, relaxation, stress release, get out the house, off the sofa, weight control ...Now, I am not so sure...it's more a chore than a pleasure,
Now my private HC provider are refusing to pay out for more physio, will probably end up riding even less..:sad:

nope - don't give in - EVER.!
something that gave you a lot of pleasure got a 'set-back' -- so accept that and move forward to what you want.!
I'm 73, live a solitary single life - had more set-backs than you can ever imagine - thing is, at the end of each day, I sit on the porch and say 'well, that wasn't too bad'' and enjoy the sunset
i guard what i have, look after myself, tend to my needs, and enjoy what i have - that's cycling

regardless of injury, if you can still get on your bike and peddle down some country traffic-free roads -- do it
the feeling WILL come back...............................best wishes..john

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I started to ride to get a bit fitter with the possibility of losing weight. Then I discovered cake so the weight hasn't dropped off as fast as it would have done without the cake.
The stripey tan is a bonus really, the nicely shaped and toned legs are another bonus. Rediscovering the beauty of 'me time' where I can ignore the phone and do what I please for anything from 30 minutes to 5 hours when I don't have to talk to anyone if I don't want to and having time to think my thoughts, daydream (within reason on the roads) and not have to answer to anyone is just wonderful.

So to recap, what I get out of cycling is: Nice legs, some time to myself, a better feeling of self worth as I am getting fitter and slimmer and a freaking awesome tan.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't know what it is but I can get a lot of enjoyment just spinning those pedals round and round. But I'm a bit lazy, so for me I commute, it becomes a routine so I don't have to do the biggest step which is getting the bike out. Once on the bike I really enjoy it, though the worst of the winter weather can be a bit draining. But equally there are the beautifully still winter mornings with the sun shining, or the meeting of lots of other cyclists. And come the summer I'm actually pitying those stuck in a car!

I get to eat cake (well I would anyway, but I'm not as round as I would be without cycling), my general fitness is better (remembering I'm a lazy lump that needs a kick to get out occasionally), it's better for the environment (we can't carry on using our cars for really short journeys when you could walk or cycle).

Top Bottom