What do you actually get out of cycling............?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
What happened Vickster? The more I read about cycling, the more I realise there is a dark side ...

vickster

Legendary Member
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/vickster-otp-of-this-parish-down-but-on-the-mend.150003/

Not so much a dark side, no malice, but accidents with lasting consequences occur

Get a copy of CycleCraft by John Franklin and read how to control your space on the road, ride defensively and reduce risk (not that it probably would have helped me as there was no primary position to take to mitigate the risk by discouraging the overtake)

Just pretty pi**ed off about it all right now :angry:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Have always commuted on the bike, but i really enjoy riding with like minded people, love the club we are in, have met so many people and a few of them have become real close friends, it allows me to help others along the way, that i find very rewarding (feel good factor). we do a lot more socializing now than we ever did, but probably has a bit to do with the kids are all grown up so we have a lot more time on our hands. And on top of that it keeps me fit. What's not to like.:thumbsup:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My main love is mountain walking/scrambling/climbing but I cycle to keep up my fitness levels between walks plus I can do it from my front door several times a week whilst fitting it around the rest of my life.

I used to mountain bike a lot which is a lot more fun than road biking tbh - but less convenient for me these days.

I do enjoy my road cycling most of the time. When it is cold and windy it can be a chore and whilst I'm pretty confident I could cycle much further I get totally fed up after an hour and a half or so.

On the upside there are times when its a nice calm day, I crack off a couple of good hard hills whilst enjoying the lovely countryside and I think that as a simple, easy to get into sport it is hard to beat.

The trick is (I think) to establish a regular routine to your cycling - whatever suits you really. I aim for 2-3 times a week totaling 40-50 miles whereas others do that distance and more day after day! Whatever works for you really.

bpsmith

Veteran
More of what's been said above. My CBR is now regulating to second best to the roadie. Love motorbikes, but found that I love bicycles more! Who'd have thought?

There is nothing to describe a good cycle. Whether it be a short hard lung opening blast or a longer but paced ride out or an more relaxed group ride chatting with mates or random unknown cyclists. This sport really is something that I wish I had done years ago too!

Last edited:
Money, fame and women mostly.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Being out in the fresh air and beautiful countryside on the bike is simply the best thing I can think of doing with a weekend. There's an awful lot you can get out of cycling as a recreational sport, and the great thing is everyone can adapt it to suit their own needs and preferences.

Health benefits are a nice bonus.

But I'm sure I (over)spend all the money I "save" on commuting petrol on bits and bobs for the bike!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
my main reasons for cycling are
  1. saves money by not using car
  2. helps to keep me fitter
  3. i enjoy it
  4. gives me a good excuse to do some exercise
  5. a chance to test ride loads of different bikes , in the last 4 years i have ridden 120+ different bikes

Top Bottom