What Do You Eat Before You Cycle. When Do You Eat It?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tribansman

Veteran
Fuelled today's century with a massive bowl of cornflakes with raisins, a banana, two slices of bread and a large black coffee

Worked pretty well as didn't eat much for me on the ride, just 3 bananas, a cereal bar and a bacon butty.

Will make up for that this evening, absolutely starving! Pleased I have two frozen Holland's meat and potato pies, half a loaf of bread and a couple of cans left 🍽

postman

Legendary Member
Porridge dollop of honey,bananas on the ride,sorts fuel a powder mix,,beans on toast sometimes.Dark chocolate,jelly babies while riding.

CharleyFarley

I've got this thing where if I eat anything at all, within ten minutes I want to go to bed. It's overwhelming.

I've been like it since I was about 10 years old so I have learned to cope by only eating one big meal per day about half an hour before I go to bed.

Only since I retired have I needed to take a nap after lunch, but if I'm working on some kind of project I can keep going all day with no problems. I'm nearly 75.

I'm wondering if you need a multivitamin. I found out, through donating blood, that I tend to be low in iron. Medical checkups, three times a year, keeps me informed of the kind of shape I'm in.

On my morning commute, I feel energised and the only strain I feel is in my upper half as my lungs struggle to keep up with my legs.

On my way home, I get the opposite. My legs feel "sick" (like I've got the Flu). Every climb seems like hard work.

Do you breathe properly? When I first retired from construction and began having regular medical checkups, my doctor seemed concerned about my breathing, so he set me up with a diagnostic lab for tests. He also gave me some kind of inhaler, saying it would help me breathe, but I was never aware of having breathing problems. After much thinking about it, next time I went for my checkup, while waiting to see the doc I took several deep breaths and exhaled as much as I could. He puts a gadget on my finger which measures the oxygen level in my blood. Since I began to take deep breaths, I always register well with their gadget.
Think about your breathing as you ride; make sure you're getting enough oxygen. Breathing is an act of the subconscious, so it's not something we normally think about.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Only since I retired have I needed to take a nap after lunch, but if I'm working on some kind of project I can keep going all day with no problems. I'm nearly 75.
I'm wondering if you need a multivitamin. I found out, through donating blood, that I tend to be low in iron. Medical checkups, three times a year, keeps me informed of the kind of shape I'm in.
The secret for me is to not sit still after eating. A Banana is the perfect breakfast for me because I set off for work at 5.45am so I can scoff one just before I leave without risking cramps on the ride in. I have a sandwich when I arrive an hour later and because the first few hours at work are always the most hectic, I don't get the chance to feel tired. I don't bother with lunch but I do scoff another Banana just before I leave work for the ride home. Bananas are also very good for replacing electrolytes lost through sweat.

Since I started this thread, I've adjusted my diet a fair bit because I've gone from practically zero cardio exercise per week to ten hours of hard slog.

I used to get puffed out walking up the hill back to my house but now, the same walk doesn't even raise my breathing rate.

Top Bottom