What Do You Eat Before You Cycle. When Do You Eat It?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
I've got this thing where if I eat anything at all, within ten minutes I want to go to bed. It's overwhelming.

I've been like it since I was about 10 years old so I have learned to cope by only eating one big meal per day about half an hour before I go to bed.

I never get hungry between meals (24 hours).

On my morning commute, I feel energised and the only strain I feel is in my upper half as my lungs struggle to keep up with my legs.

On my way home, I get the opposite. My legs feel "sick" (like I've got the Flu). Every climb seems like hard work.

It's pretty obvious that I need some form of energy input before I set off on my commute home, but I don't know what would be best to eat and I'm not sure when to eat it? I'm not interested in sugary things or energy drinks. I'm a wholemeal bread and Cheddar cheese man myself.

So, as the title says,

What Do You Eat Before You Cycle. When Do You Eat It?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I often do early mornings on just a cup of coffee if I'm not doing any more than around 30 miles. If I had a longer ride planned I would probably have my porridge first and then go.

Slick

Guru
I have always been pretty much the same, I put it down to never really having time to eat when I putting in long shifts and grafting hard before coming home with just about enough energy to shower and eat before going back out and repeating.

Most people I ride with are the exact opposite and use food as fuel on a full day in the saddle but I just can't do it as my body shuts down after eating.

Like @Mo1959 says, if I'm doing around 30 miles or so, I simply don't eat, but around 50 miles and I have a stop but it's tea and cake, no more. I don't worry about it, it's just how my body has been conditioned to deal with effort, so my advice would be to do what works for you. 👍

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I often do early mornings on just a cup of coffee if I'm not doing any more than around 30 miles. If I had a longer ride planned I would probably have my porridge first and then go.
I don't have a problem in the mornings because I have eaten this massive great meal the night before so I have a ready energy source.

It's 18 hours after I've eaten that I hit the brick wall but I know that if I eat anything, I will be nodding off to sleep within half an hour.

I've had blood tests for diabetes and seen a number of consultants and I've followed all of their recommendations.

I gave up sugar in my tea and coffee over 25 years ago. I eat heaps of fresh veggies, I never eat cakes or pastries. Chocolate, Ice Cream and sweets don't appeal to me.

Fact is though, if I ate a nibble of a carrot now, I'd be passed out in ten minutes time.

Slick

Guru
Also, I am a bit similar on the commute rides, except I would say both legs and lungs feel good on the way in but my legs always stiffen a couple of hours before I'm due to leave for home but I'm convinced it's a mental thing and within the first couple of miles they loosen up just fine.

Slick

Guru
I don't have a problem in the mornings because I have eaten this massive great meal the night before so I have a ready energy source.

It's 18 hours after I've eaten that I hit the brick wall but I know that if I eat anything, I will be nodding off to sleep within half an hour.

I've had blood tests for diabetes and seen a number of consultants and I've followed all of their recommendations.

I gave up sugar in my tea and coffee over 25 years ago. I eat heaps of fresh veggies, I never eat cakes or pastries. Chocolate, Ice Cream and sweets don't appeal to me.

Fact is though, if I ate a nibble of a carrot now, I'd be passed out in ten minutes time.
18 hours is far too long between meals, even for me.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Jealous............I'm a chronic insomniac!

So am I.

I have no trouble falling asleep, but I'm lucky if I get more than a few hours. I've been awake today since 3.15 am.

I've tried everything like changing my mattress and bedding, altering my bedtimes, avoiding blue light and all that other stuff.

I'm thinking of going down the CBD route for a full nights rest. One of the guys at work swears by it.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
That's weird.

I know you said no energy drinks but, what about energy drinks? :biggrin:

I tried a sip of Red Bull in the late 1990's and passed out in the Indian restaurant about five minutes later.

I went to the doctor and she did a blood test and told me there was nothing wrong.

CXRAndy

Guru
One big bowl of oak porridge with milk should suffice a commute type ride.

A 1000 calorie load up with porridge an hour before a long ride would really help in maintaining before a stop.

Top Bottom