What Do You Eat Before You Cycle. When Do You Eat It?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Basic of the shelf sweets like Humbugs or Buttermintoes consumed whilst getting ready to ride. If it’s more than a hack then a couple in my pocket for during the ride. If convenient I’ll have tea with sugar instead.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
How far is the commute?
Can you eat something on the move?
It's ten miles but the second five miles are mainly downhill.

I've tried eating different things an hour before I leave work but none of them help.

The only thing that got close was a Banana about half an hour before I set off.

vickster

Legendary Member
For my last big bike ride: a microwave all day breakfast and two Kellogg's nutri-grain raisin bakes.
xx(
maybe try making something fresh and avoiding so much processed food (especially meat?) No microwave ready breakfast (is that even a thing?!) is going to be made of high quality products. Think of your future bowel health 👍

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
One big bowl of oak porridge with milk should suffice a commute type ride.

A 1000 calorie load up with porridge an hour before a long ride would really help in maintaining before a stop.
A 1000 calories of porridge? Do you make it with double cream topped with clotted and golden syrup? :laugh:

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Basic of the shelf sweets like Humbugs or Buttermintoes consumed whilst getting ready to ride. If it’s more than a hack then a couple in my pocket for during the ride. If convenient I’ll have tea with sugar instead.

It's the ride home that depresses me. My legs feel like they've had the arteries clamped off.

The fitness gurus at work keep telling me to eat something sweet before I set off but it seems counter intuitive ?

Maybe they are right?

on weekends, I'll just have a meal a hour or two before my ride. my rides are generally only an hour or two. if they are longer I bring food/snacks w/ me. PB&J cut into quarters has been good in the past for long rides. so long as I don't smoosh them

weekdays/workdays I have lunch in the 12-1pm time frame. went for a 90 minute ride after work yesterday & the day before (starting 4:30 & 5:30pm respectively). before leaving the office, I had a small off-the-shelf protein shake & a banana. after the rides I ate dinner. seems to serve me well

small protein shake.jpg

I have no trouble falling asleep, but I'm lucky if I get more than a few hours. I've been awake today since 3.15 am.
I've tried everything like changing my mattress and bedding, altering my bedtimes, avoiding blue light and all that other stuff.
I'm thinking of going down the CBD route for a full nights rest. One of the guys at work swears by it.
I've read & can atest that it works, a portion of animal meat before bed. a dose of melatonin as late as possible doesn't hurt either. taking melatonin too early doesn't have the desired effect. also, we now have legal cannibis in MA. our Daughter seems to be an expert shopper. there are several strains, & there's one I've tried, where just a cpl small short tokes has a lovely effect just before tooth brushing & bed

Mburton1993

Über Member
Scrambled eggs and bacon (if you must) takes 5 minutes to cook 👍 As does porridge
Processed micro meals not cheap either when you consider it. A kilo of porridge oats is a quid

Eh, but then I'd have to buy a frying pan. :biggrin:

Besides, the Microwave breakfast was only for a big bike ride, I usually don't bother with breakfast, cup of tea will do.

Not too keen on porridge.

To the person who doesn't like porridge.....neither did I until I started camping and it became a staple.
Cinnamon, honey, fruit & nuts make it a delicious breakfast!

@Lovacott your situation is pretty unique since you only eat once a day - there's not many people who do that so what others do may be of little use to you.

Based on your threads you've undertaken a massive change in lifestyle since you took up cycling. Your body is still adjusting. It may take some time.

It's also (at least) your second thread on how miserable your commute to home is. There is also the possibility that it happens near the end of your waking/nutrition cycle and you're not a machine!

I have no real advice except to try different options and see which works the best for you.
You said one bananna wasn't too bad - how about two? Or throw some peanut butter on one.
Or if you're a bread and cheese man then pack some and eat that before you leave. Chocolate milk is often recommended as a restorative, maybe a hot chocolate before departure?

Aside from the physical, there are also psychological factors. Now it's dark, cold and probably wetter. The rapid improvement you've seen in fitness, physical shape and form is slowing. These things can have a negative effect and exaggerate niggly things.
I'd suggest concentrating on the things you do like about your ride home rather than the things you don't.

Good luck

Top Bottom