What do you eat or drink while out on bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On a recent 100mile, ~5hr ride I took 7 energy bars, ate 5 of them and drank 3 litres of water. The weather was cool and so I didn't need that much water.

After the ride, massive amount of bbq meat and veggies to restock on the protein. Drank beer to restock on the carbs....:cheers:

OP
OP
bubbles3

bubbles3

Hi folks. Thanks for all your advice. On my long ride on sunday past i went out armed with, malt loaf, a bananna, 4 fig rolls and about a dozen jelly babies. changed lucozade sport to high5 (my mouth didn't end up feeling like a sugar bowl). i was able to eat the fig rolls and the jelly babies while cycling which was great. body still died a little bit at 38 miles stopped for a cuppa tea, just before the main long climb when heading home, which seemed to make all the difference. still have a few more weeks before the Bangor Coastal Challenge 100km to practise everything. and have now decided to do the ride for charity as well. Thought as i'm pushing myself for something i havn't done before others could benefit as well. Doing it for NEXUS Institute, a charity who help survivors of sexual violence and abuse. I have friends who have benifited greatly from the help and counselling they have recieved, i've seen the difference it has made in their lives and feel if i can raise some money for NEXUS it will help others get the help they need to turn their lives around. NEXUS have branches throughout Northern Ireland they provide a friendly and safe enviroment to those who have the courage to ask for help.
Check out www.nexusinstitute.org from wed 15th may the new website address is www.nexusni.org if anyone wants to know more info.

thanks again to everyone for all their advice. looking forward to the 16th June now i'm more confident about what to eat so i don't completely die before the finish line!!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I think I have finally cracked this. On Friday I took part in a 12 hour session on spin bikes and probably took more food than I needed but it was a good way of working out what was needed.

I ate on the hour every hour and for me it was a variety of: 4 Jam wholemeal Sandwiches, 4 slices Soren Fruit loaf, 1 Flapjack, 2 Buttered Scones, 1 banana, 1 packet of jelly pre cut into cubes, handful of dried apricots and 1 sausage roll. I got through 6 bidons of drinks 3 x water and 3 x fruit squash with added rock salt.

For me that was plenty and a break from the norm as normally I would have a handful of gels and various energy bars and was the first time on any long ride that I have done where I did not hit the wall.

D

Deleted member 1258

On a normal Sunday ride I'll have a Cafe stop for Beans On Toast and a Coffee, if I'm doing a long ride and don't plan to stop I'll carry some slices of Malt Loaf.

400bhp

Guru
Me-never enough to drink. Usually end up with a weekend exercise induced headache after a saturday morning ride.:rolleyes:

400bhp

Guru
If I am out with @potsy and @400bhp either a full English or a large slice of cake with a hot chocolate (with cream marshmallows and a flake on top). :whistle:

If I am doing a 100k fast ride then a bannana and a 750 ml bottle with a electrolyte tab in water sweetened with a little squash. I tend to take more notice of my pre ride fuel. Set yourself up with a good breakfast. Porridge oats soaked overnight in skimmed milk with honey give an excellent slow release carb base.

Oi!!!

You implying that me and @potsy are slow?

:ninja:

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
I'm never particular about what I eat and drink just that I do ;)

Edit: it also depends what I'm doin as to how much.

potsy

Rambler
Oi!!!

You implying that me and @potsy are slow?

:ninja:
No, just you :whistle:

Bucket

Hi there
Did an 80 miler the other week felt ok used 2 gels,half a bag of aldi dried fruit nice and cheap but lovely, water, j babies little and often works for me.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I have started taking Nature Valley Bars. One of them and a few gulps of water and Im full again.

Honey and sugar for a quick buzz, oats to keep you going. Perfek!

Top Bottom