What do you look for in an overshoe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

...and don't say "your feet". :laugh:

I'm after some decent overshoes for the winter but the choice is a bit overwhelming. I like the look of these but I've no idea if they're any good. So what are your criteria?

Matthew (who has searched but not found quite what he was after)

Ones that don't start to split at the seams [got some planetX ones that have started to do this, but I have used them about fifty or so times]

Water still tends to find its way in through the bottom of the covers, left foot worst due to roadside splash.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

yello

Fit. I like overshoes to fit tightly and have zips rather than velcro. No way would I buy some of the kind that look like gaiters, or bin liners with luggage straps. Waterproof doesn't overly matter to me, I'm more concerned with keeping my feet warm than dry.

Noodley

addictfreak said:
I have some Endura neoprene shoes, no complaints at all keep my feet warm and dry.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Endura_Road_Overshoes/5360020535/

Yep I have them as well, and like them as the are a good tight fit, are waterproof and have zips on the back rather than velcro fastenings. The stitching on the sole is also hard wearing, unlike my previous pair which were Assos and the sole fell to bits in only a few rides (and the zip tabs fell off after one ride!)

I kept the Assos ones as the supplier did not answer my e-mails :laugh: But they have come in handy as I wear them over the Endura ones on very cold days (I mean seriously cold) in winter.

My feet and hands get really cold and I need lots of protection :sad:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Another +1 for the Endura Road's. Nice tight fit and keep you warm and dry though I've not tried them in torrential rain yet.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The type that don't let water in around the ankle, trouble is I haven't found any yet...

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Thanks for the replies, all very useful. :smile: The Enduras are definitely looking like a possibility. 2 questions:

1. Are zipped overshoes definitely the way to go? I vaguely remember reading something about them being prone to failure. On the other hand they are a lot better looking.

2. How much adjustment is the in the strap thingy? Only I have skinny ankles.

Matthew

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
i use the endura ones as well. I've always had good stuff from endura.

these over shoes fit perfectly with no signs of the zip failing. you can pull the Velcro strap tight if you need to but i find it tends to "bunch things up"

I'm going to order some endura leg warmers on pay day, to go with my endura shorts :smile:

Top Bottom