What do you use to clean and lube your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
gt85 on rag for the greasy stuff, muc off for the bike as a whole and mickle method for the chain using finish line wet.
seems to work really well overall :biggrin:

RhythMick

Über Member
I bought 5L of ViroSol from the web for about £15 delivered. It's a citrus degreaser and seems to both bike friendly and environmentally neutral.

Yesterday I did 30 miles of muddy transpennine trail and the bike was caked. Hosed the kak off, ViroSol on a cloth to reach the awkward spots. Finally ViroSol (neat) in the Park Chain Cleaner and it all looks spanking new.

Then lubed with Finish Line Wet.

jackthelad

totally love finishline dry lube,really keeps the chain clean,but after using it have went back to finishline wet lube cross country,the weather in this country does not make it cost effective to use a dry lube.

PIck up a bag of recycle cloths for about a tenner janitorial supplies,mickle the chain
get an old piece of carpet or car mat ,turn the bike upside down take of rear wheel and run a cloth thru the cassette
very rarely degrease as I do this method everytime I take the bike out,only takes mins
.If the bike frame is carry very little dirt I wipe it down with baby wipes,if a lot of road dirt then I use a garden pump sprayer with hot water,takes most of the dirt off,then just a light wipe with soft cloth,finish off with some mister sheen ,all done in a relaxing 30 mins

lejogger

Guru
The single biggest revolution for my bike cleaning regime has been the switch to baby wipes. In superdrug they were buy one get two free the other week. Absolutely brilliant for cleaning everything, the grime just comes off so easily.

GT85 is also a godsend for the awkward stuff like an initial spray on the cassette with a good scrub with a toothbrush, but a baby wipe to finish off as well.

Like anything though the key is to keep on top of it and not let the grime build up. I was in that unfortunate position yesterday and it took me a good few hours to strip everything down and get it back to shiny silver instead of black.

Try to be sparing with your lubrication of the chain. I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but the mickle method is the way forward.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
baby wipes for everything, with the help of some muc-off for the undersides that catch the crud. WD40 as a solvent for cassettes. Mickle method for chain with baby wipes and wet lube (any light oil).

Finish off with Mr.Sheen on just about everything :smile:

AlisterJ

bit of a silly question here^_^....I get the cleaning of the frame and forks(iused car shampoo and a cloth!) but how and how often do you have to clean or oil the chain.

Top Bottom