What do you use to clean and lube your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sekretsource

Has anyone tried diesel, I have used the same 1 litre for the past year. After cleaning I let the muck settle for a day in a bottle then pass liquid through a cigarette filter plugged at the bottom of a sweetcorn can. Cannot stand to use water . My chains have latest more than 8000 miles . I prefer to use sram pc951 or X9 chains, cleaned every 50 miles and lubed with wet lube .Checked once a week with park tool chain stretch indicator.
I do not use the brush type rotating chain cleaner as it does nothing on the inside of the chain. I use an old battery driill with an old deraileur cog stuck in the jaws. I have it on the table , set to low and slowly circling the chain in a bottle of diesel on the floor.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Has anyone tried diesel, I have used the same 1 litre for the past year. After cleaning I let the muck settle for a day in a bottle then pass liquid through a cigarette filter plugged at the bottom of a sweetcorn can. Cannot stand to use water . My chains have latest more than 8000 miles . I prefer to use sram pc951 or X9 chains, cleaned every 50 miles and lubed with wet lube .Checked once a week with park tool chain stretch indicator.
I do not use the brush type rotating chain cleaner as it does nothing on the inside of the chain. I use an old battery driill with an old deraileur cog stuck in the jaws. I have it on the table , set to low and slowly circling the chain in a bottle of diesel on the floor.
That is simply awesome! Maximum respect!:bravo:

Can you tell us how much time this takes (expressed as a percentage of your waking hours)??

I suspect that my remaining life is not long enough for such shenanegans.

Sekretsource

Can you tell us how much time this takes (expressed as a percentage of your waking hours)??

I suspect that my remaining life is not long enough for such shenanegans.
.....................................................................................................................................
I knew my comment would cause a few eyebrows to be raised or eyes to be rolled up.

First of all I only use chains with quick links. I remove chain , coil up - place in old ice cream tub, pour in a BIT of diesel , scrub with old toothbrush . drain liquid into another glass bottle., repeat x 2........maybe 2 mins.
Then I join the ends , mount on drill with battery and leave it to circulate for 10 minutes into another bottle with diesel.... this will now leach the crap from the pins and inside the rollers.
Leave to dry for a while .
Lube chain on one side only on the plate overlap while laying flat on surface using eye drop bottle....this guarantees lube to penetrate TO WHERE IT'S NEEDED MOST, into the pins and out the other side.

Before I get slated for time wasting I will now attempt to make a little video, place on youtube and attach link here.​

Ok, I give in, I am guilty of being a lazy bugger, the bike gets washed about once a year, cannot see the point of washing of one load of crap, only to replace it a day or two latter.
Chain get lubed each day before riding, use a homemade mix of white spirit, cooking oil and telfon grease, stirred not shaken till it a nice gloopy liquid, once lubed the cranked are turned for a few turns to get the lube into the rollers, then wiped off with a cloth.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't go far wrong with an oily cloth, quick wipe of dirt off chain, then re-lube with Finish Line Ceramic Wax (Dry) in the clear and Gold labled bottle. Works very well in the wet.

The cheaper Finish Line Dry Teflon (black bottle red lable) isn't quite as good.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Going back a few posts- has anyone here received their free sample of Muc-off?
I've not received my sample or any e-mail from them and starting to feel like I may have been tricked!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

GrasB

Veteran
Why did you think you needed to re-lube the chain? Dry lube tends to leave the chain nosier than wet lube but the noise is different. With wet lube I need to clean the chain every (other) day depending how wet the weather is. With dry lube I usually can leave it 3 days (150 miles) before re-lubing the chain.

I use Chain-L, currently on 300 dry miles on the weekend bike since the last lube, just Mickled after each ride with baby wipes. Talking of which I find the Lidl ones best if you like them very moist, Asda if you want dryish.

Top Bottom