What do you wear under your cycle shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
minty arse lard?
yep. minty arse lard.

assos-chamois-creme-10-zoom.jpg

other minty arse lards are available.

Alexvs

After 7 months of riding I've just come to the conclusion my rear end wasn't designed for cycling as I have next to no natural padding lol for this reason on my commutes I wear padded undershorts and then padded bib-longs currently/shorts soon to be. On long rides I wear my padded bib-shorts in-between to try aid comfort but that still don't help hence the not designed for cycling. I used to wear boxers but they ride up and become very uncomfortable but will have to try commando and see how that goes while grinning and bearing the boney arse syndrome.

akb

Veteran
I just wear normal sports shorts (mainly Adidas or Nike) with some cheap Aldi leg warmers underneath on the colder days commuting. 25 mile round trip commute.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
After 7 months of riding I've just come to the conclusion my rear end wasn't designed for cycling as I have next to no natural padding lol for this reason on my commutes I wear padded undershorts and then padded bib-longs currently/shorts soon to be. On long rides I wear my padded bib-shorts in-between to try aid comfort but that still don't help hence the not designed for cycling. I used to wear boxers but they ride up and become very uncomfortable but will have to try commando and see how that goes while grinning and bearing the boney arse syndrome.
This suggests that rather than boney arse syndrome/lack of padding you suffer from a saddle that doesn't fit you properly.

Different people have different sized gaps between their sit bones and all saddles are not created equal.

Have you tried getting the r's measured and a saddle to match?

Aiden_23

..........a thong!!! KO. I wear under armour but now think Im going to rock the Commando look. Better get some tight fitting shorts before I get arrested though!!:unsure:

Alexvs

This suggests that rather than boney arse syndrome/lack of padding you suffer from a saddle that doesn't fit you properly.

Different people have different sized gaps between their sit bones and all saddles are not created equal.

Have you tried getting the r's measured and a saddle to match?
Thanks for the suggestion, I've not got anything measured yet so will look into that. As for saddles, I've recently bought a charge spoon which I've so far only ridden with once so am going to give it a chance to break it in a bit and then see how I am. Both my standard saddles a Giant and a Specialized were equally uncomfortable but as I only ride just over 5 miles on my commute using the Giant I'm not bothering to change that one as isn't that bad over the short distances.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've not got anything measured yet so will look into that. As for saddles, I've recently bought a charge spoon which I've so far only ridden with once so am going to give it a chance to break it in a bit and then see how I am. Both my standard saddles a Giant and a Specialized were equally uncomfortable but as I only ride just over 5 miles on my commute using the Giant I'm not bothering to change that one as isn't that bad over the short distances.
When sorted for fit you should find you be able to forget the saddle is even there, i.e. it should cease to be an issue for you, over 'normal distances/durations of up to 200km/1 day.

I'm lucky enough to have a bum the fits a Brooks B17 perfectly. I'm lucky enough to have a titanium railed Brook B17 on my best bike. I can ride my best bike 100km in one go in unpadded shorts or unpadded longs without discomfort.

The mtb has one of these...
sst-520x500.jpg

all day comfy in padded shorts. But then you don't spend so much time sat down on an MTB.

Top Bottom