what Documentaries did you watch last night.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The Shakespearian tragedy of the shrimp couple trapped in a sponge.

Reactions: TVC

Joey Shabadoo

Williams. On Netflix. Story of Williams f1. Centres around frank Williams and his family. You don't have to like f1 to enjoy this I thought it was fab, and actually really sad.

Watching this in segments and you're right it's sad. Williams doesn't really come out of it well (so far).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I watched one on Netflix about The Berkely Marathon, an absolutely bonkers 100 mile (approximately, but probably more, due to the bonkersness of the course) cross country running race, that has to be completed in 60 hours, to be classified as a finisher. Some years, no one gets classified as a finisher, even if they do get round the whole course......
I will have a look for that one next time I am searching Netflix!

There have been 5 documentaries on the BBC recently by Jacques Peretti. I watched the first one and liked that so I am looking forward to watching the other 4, though I think the 2 about the super-rich will probably make me very angry ...

Joey Shabadoo

Ok I've watched all of the Williams documentary now and I found it hard going and intensely personal at times. I hate the cheap trick documentary makers have of asking a question then leaving the camera running after it's been answered, almost forcing the interviewee to say more than they were comfortable with. How he treated his wife was appalling if events happened the way the documentary portrayed them. I have my doubts but the scene where his daughter read a section of Virginia William's autobiography to Frank had the tears welling up and I feel a little dirty having watched what was, as I say, an intensely personal moment.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
Rewatching Cosmos on Netflix, the new version, very well done and I could listen to Neil deGrasse Tyson read the phone book.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 5033130, member: 9609"]Grand Designs - this being the episode where they visited 7 different homes to choose one to enter some RIBA house of the year. Can't say any really floated my boat but NONE of them had any carpets or curtains :wacko: are theses items going out of fashion? can't say I would have wanted to live in any of them - they probably did pick the best of the bad bunch as the winner though,[/QUOTE]
A couple of years ago, Kevin mentioned on the show that they get a lot of letters, mostly asking about curtains... he didn't give us an answer though. My guess is showing the houses sans-drapes shows off the spaces better. The emphasis is on the architecture rather than soft furnishings... but there's often no sign of curtain poles either.. so i really don't know. Carpets have long been out of style. There's plenty of laminate floors and rugs these days. Maybe the combination is easier to manage and more hygienic than wall to wall carpets.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Deep Purple: From here to infinite.

A documentary about the band over the years, and following the recording of the latest album. I found the interactions between band and producer fascinating... and they still rock.

Operation Stonehenge: What lies beneath?

Two part doc about Stonehenge and its surrounding areas. Very interesting, but i feel i have to take certain claimed details of ancient cultures with a pinch of salt. How do they know that guy wasn't just murdered in cold blood at Stonehenge? Why it is always a sacrifice? Then there's the damaged skulls... it's always an assault with a blunt instrument delivered by some dastardly foe rather than an unlucky tumble followed by a traumatic bang on the head. Other than my cynicism, it was very interesting and informative. I think Stonehenge was a stone-age Wall Street.

tyreon

Killing for Love. On BBC i player. A visual follow on from the radio series Serial. Fascinating.

Anyone watched The Jinx? A how-2-getaway with murder job. Crackers.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Encounters at the End of the World (YouTube)
The Werner Herzog documentary that's probably most famous for its "deranged penguin" sequence, but a wonderful piece of work in its entirety.

Herzog shows just what an incredible place the Antarctic is, showcasing the otherworldly beauty of spaces like the interior of ice fumeroles around Mount Cerberus, and the spaces beneath the sea ice. All of it, of course, extremely hostile to human life; the fumeroles can be explored, Herzog deadpans, as long as you explore the ones that aren't full of toxic gas. Mixed in with the landscapes are musings on the nature of the creatures that make it their home, both human and non-human. As ever, he goes beyond the obvious, with a sort of mischievous sense of enquiry that, among other memorable sequences, leads to the discovery that penguins can go mad.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TJ-tyS57Kw

Levo-Lon

Guru
I watched a programme about Sky cycling ,Brailsford Wiggo tdf win on 2 this evening, quite a good watch.

Recorded Pink Floyed Dark side of the moon documentary on sky arts at 9
Last night was Wish you were here

Top Bottom