What documentary did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just been watching this... completely nuts!

I've had the DVD for a few years, even now it's scary to watch Connor Cummins 'rag-dolling' off (I think it's the) Verandah at 120MPH+
It's at about 1.26:30

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I watched some fly on the wall thing about life in a suburb of Manchester called Weatherfield.
I saw a bit of that. What really annoys me about these things is... they can spend a few days filming everyone and everything, then edit those 400 hours of footage down to tell any story they want... leaving the gullible viewer think that life is really like that in Weatherfield.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The first 25% of Marcel Ophul's Le Chagrin Et La Pitie (The Sorrow And The Pity), a 1969 French documentary about life in occupied France in WW2. It's mainly interviews. There is stoicism and resistance, and also petty grudge-settling, anti-Semitism and collaboration. At the time it was made, it was felt to be so far away from the "official narrative" that it needed to be suppressed for a decade. It's four and a half hours long and absolutely undramatic, but fascinating, not least because it makes you question whether or not you yourself would have behaved differently under similar circumstances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sorrow_and_the_Pity

On Sky Arts, the recent ‘road trips’ by Frank Skinner and Denise Mina. In the first series they told the story of Boswell and Johnson’s Western Isles trip, in the most recent series they told the story of Coleridge and Wordsworth. They make a great presenting team and Skinner’s reading of Wordsworth’s poetry was a joy.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Watched an intersting one a couple of nights ago about the WW2 Mosquito. When talking to one of the few remaining pilots he was explaining how they used to destroy railway tunnels - fly along railway lines low so they could drop bombs with delayed action fuses that would bounce into the tunnel before exploding. The presenter said "so you must have had to fly at about 50-100 feet?" and the reply was just "Lower"!
Certainly was an impressive aircraft.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Watched an intersting one a couple of nights ago about the WW2 Mosquito. When talking to one of the few remaining pilots he was explaining how they used to destroy railway tunnels - fly along railway lines low so they could drop bombs with delayed action fuses that would bounce into the tunnel before exploding. The presenter said "so you must have had to fly at about 50-100 feet?" and the reply was just "Lower"!
Certainly was an impressive aircraft.

I heard of a story about a veteran Mosquito pilot talking to a former B17 pilot and the American airman commented he used to fly at 35000 feet and asked the Mosie pilot what height they flew. '60' replies the RAF pilot. "bulshit!" says the Yank, "nothing could do 60,000 feet back then".
"Not 60,000; 60" replies the Brit.

There are possibly apocryphal stories of Mosies returning with bits of twig caught on them

Last edited:

Fergs

Guru
Brilliant - thank you! I’ll enjoy watching that, as will my dad (grandpa Fergs was a mossie navigator)

Top Bottom