what does 'flight deck' mean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

I thought it was shifter that have a little flicky thumb lever to release cable tension but apparently
these
are flight deck and they have got the one of the style that's in line with the brake lever.
so i'm now confused as to what 'flight deck' actually means.

bonj said:
I thought it was shifter that have a little flicky thumb lever to release cable tension but apparently
these
are flight deck and they have got the one of the style that's in line with the brake lever.
so i'm now confused as to what 'flight deck' actually means.

Flight Deck is Shi**nos computer. In addition to the usual info you might expect a cycle computer to display such as speed, distance, cadence etc, the Flight Deck computers also display what gear you're in. To do this they have sensors inside the *STI shifters into which you plug little leads from the computer. So some STI units are Flight Deck compatible and some are not.

(Shi**no-Total-Integration; which just means the shifters and brake levers are on the same clamp)

Some people love to dis Shimano, as they see Campy as the only true brand, because 'tis Italian and thus must be superior to all other comers, simply because it is Italian.

It is just personal preference, and cyclists being snooty as per usual!!

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Some people love to dis Shimano, as they see Campy as the only true brand, because 'tis Italian and thus must be superior to all other comers, simply because it is Italian.

It is just personal preference, and cyclists Campagistas being snooty as per usual!!
Edited for factual accuracy. :smile:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

ah ok. so presumably only certain computers will be compatible aswell, then.

agree with J about difference between shimano and campag, afaict they both work so there's really nothing in it, but for me campag might have compatibility issues, so it's shimano. but if I was buying a whole new groupset the branding wouldn't really sway me one way or the other, it would just be what took my fancy at the time.

what actually are the compatibility issues between shimano/campag, is it that they pull different amounts of cable like shimano vs. sram?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yes, bonj, that's pretty much it. Shape and position of the levers is a bit different, so the best plan is to try both and decide which you prefer. I think Campag has a thumb lever to go one way (a bit like Sora).
And yes, you need a Flightdeck computer to talk to flightdeck levers. They can work out your cadence without a cadence sensor - they know how fast you're going, and what gear you're in, and you have to tell them what cassette you've got. Ergobrain, OTOH, has a cadence sensor, and also knows what gear you're in, so can then work out what cassette you've got. In case you didn't know, I assume.

Maz said:
Why the ** in Shimano and Campagnola?
Are you guys from S****horpe?

I started it. I have a problem with Shi**no. I cant bring myself to use it and I cant bring myself to type it. I believe there is counselling available for people like me.

Top Bottom