what does 'patrimony' mean...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
just got some HR spiel that i cant make head or tail of, esp the word 'patrimony:

Knowledge and patrimony management:
Definition: Those who excel in this area transfer technical knowledge and coach to achieve operational objectives and organise technical inheritance. This know-how includes the mindset to learn from experience (feedback) to nourish improvement loops.

can anyone translate this into English?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
They missed a space - it's an Irish bloke called Pat Rimony:sad:

Maz said:
just got some HR spiel that i cant make head or tail of, esp the word 'patrimony:

Definition: Those who excel in this area transfer technical knowledge and coach to achieve operational objectives and organise technical inheritance. This know-how includes the mindset to learn from experience (feedback) to nourish improvement loops.

That's appalling.
They're referring to the skill of being able to teach others willingly and skilfully about the technical aspects of whatever-it-is-they're-doing, so that everyone can work more efficiently. The person who has this skill also has to create some kind of log or manual that others can refer to incorporating what others think about it too, willingly and lovingly etc

Patrimony = no idea but I would guess it's a reference to 'husbandry', or 'looking after something'

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just a posh way of saying when you are good at something, teach your fellow colleagues... and also learn from the fact that some are probably too dumb to learn what you've just taught them - "learn from experience (feedback) to nourish improvement loops" - yep dosey buggers will never pick it up !

Arch

Married to Night Train
Sorry, no. That's just garbage-speak.

I'd have thought patrimony was related to fatherhood. Perhaps they mean it in relation to passing on knowledge, like father to son. But it's still garbage-speak.

domtyler

Über Member
patrimony
Also found in: Legal, Wikipedia 0.04 sec.
pat·ri·mo·ny (ptr-mn)
n. pl. pat·ri·mo·nies
a. An inheritance from a father or other ancestor.
b. An inheritance or legacy; heritage.
2. An endowment or estate belonging to an institution, especially a church.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/patrimony

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's like father to son - inherited knowledge or property - just ask HR to describe it - bet they can't - full of usefull twaddle.

Being an accountant, I'm used to having HR come to us to sort things out... but we use english that folk can understand !

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think the word come from the French, La Patrimoine. Being the language of diplomacy, French is sometimes more subtle than English. I have always understood La Patrimoine to mean the wealth of the land inherited from older generations.

Canrider

Guru
I'm circulating that HR bumf around my office as we speak. Horrors!

And yes, inheritance. 'La Patrie': the homeland (semi-literally 'The Fatherland').

Donc nous pouvons parler de la patrimoine Quebecoise..

Maz said:

A few years ago they called it "knowledge cascades." Basically it's bollocks.

Top Bottom