what does 'patrimony' mean...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jashburnham

What total arse! My work involves talking to a lot of HR folk and they all seem to love speaking in code - either inventing new words or taking an existing word and altering its meaning (as in this case I believe). I understand Patrimony to mean "inherited from a father/ancestors." Certainly not being used in the correct context here!

Tetedelacourse

I hate all that crap.

Yesterday I learned about a portfolio of programs one of our seniors has put together and termed "FAB", which stands for Future and Beyond. I only had one question: What exactly IS beyond the future?

Got eyes rolled at me for asking such a ridiculous question.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Tetedelacourse said:
I hate all that crap.

Yesterday I learned about a portfolio of programs one of our seniors has put together and termed "FAB", which stands for Future and Beyond. I only had one question: What exactly IS beyond the future?

is this fella a Toy Story/buzz lightyear fan?...to infinity and beyond!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Rigid Raider said:
I think the word come from the French, La Patrimoine. Being the language of diplomacy, French is sometimes more subtle than English. I have always understood La Patrimoine to mean the wealth of the land inherited from older generations.

Minor point of order: it is a proven fact that all languages are as subtle as each other. The fact that French was once the language of diplomacy (I don't think that even they maintain that that is still the case) is irrelevant. What you might see as subtlety is probably the fact that in French there are some concepts for which they developed one word and for which you would need more than one in English. This works in both directions with any pair of languages.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
jashburnham said:
What total arse! My work involves talking to a lot of HR folk and they all seem to love speaking in code - either inventing new words or taking an existing word and altering its meaning (as in this case I believe). I understand Patrimony to mean "inherited from a father/ancestors." Certainly not being used in the correct context here!

When people have got very little to say, they often resort to jargon in which they can ineffectively say it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Andy in Sig said:
Minor point of order: it is a proven fact that all languages are as subtle as each other. The fact that French was once the language of diplomacy (I don't think that even they maintain that that is still the case) is irrelevant. What you might see as subtlety is probably the fact that in French there are some concepts for which they developed one word and for which you would need more than one in English. This works in both directions with any pair of languages.
Very true... some languages are better than others at specific things... for example, the French have 1,000 phrases for "get your kit off" :biggrin:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
With which no self respecting Englishwoman would ever comply!:biggrin:

Tetedelacourse said:
I hate all that crap.

I'm not surprised. If you don't know the answer to that question, then you're part of the problem, not part of the solution. :biggrin:

Top Bottom