What drives you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Taking myself as an example, what is it that drives me to physically punish myself on the bike ;)
I'm very near 50, and i've just found i can up my speed considerably by adopting an aero position, espacially when against the wind. It's really fired me up again. I always hover around the 15 - 17 mph average over say 40miles, depending on conditions.
Just did a 33 at a shade under 17 mph average this weekend...and thats early in the year for me to be going so fast...when it gets hot, i really loosen up.

Then i think...'what on earth am i doing :ohmy:'. nearly 50, and still pushing myself. I could go even harder, but i still want to enjoy the rest of the day :biggrin:

If i go out for a steady ride....i still end up doing exactly the same..it's like a drug. A steady ride is a complete waste of time to me.

'hello, my name's Colin... i am a cycloholic :blush:'

Does anyone else find the same

domtyler

Über Member
I can't bear to ride slowly, just doesn't feel right.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Commuter racing :biggrin:. There I am cycling along content with myself until in the distance I spot someone ahead. I cannot resist the urge until I have chased them down and blown them away. At 42 years old I really am old enough to know better ;)

walker

Knowing That I'm better than your average Joe, but when out racing I come accross more average Joes that are faster than me so I have to then be better than them

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think I am both ... I'm often a happy pootler ambling along at probably 6 or 8 mph ... then there is the other mode when I push it and can manage to ride faster - but I don't seem to have that middle ground.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Health and fitness, competition with myself (I like getting better at something I enjoy), compensation for my other vices (used to smoke a fair amount, been known to like a pint or three), gets me out of the house and keeps me sane, I love the countryside and always have done.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Can't go slow.

It is irritating to overtake others at a fair old lick and leave them for dust... only for them to catch up at the next set of lights. Like a Boy Racer on a well, errrr, racer I guess! ;)

I must look rather silly to them setting off so fast and leaving them only for them to pootle along and be next to me again further down the road... but I simply can't go on the bike without going at a reasonable pace.. my argument is that as I know I'm going to sweat (I'm exceedingly efficient at removing heat from my body!) I might as well have a good reason for it. :biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
unless dressed in civvies and with flat pedals, it's hard to pootle. and someone in front is always someone to (try to) catch. been my undoing on many a club run, getting caught between the two groups and taking a wrong turn (or failing to take a right one). ;)

mondobongo

Über Member
I come out of the house going take it easy dont set off like a loony this normally lasts until I get to the top of the road. Its then downhill to the prom which sees me hitting 30mph and all intentions of a steady ride are forgotten.

Top Bottom