What drives you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
at some point, the words <kraftwerk> tour - de - france</kraftwerk> will enter my head, and there's no getting the whole song out of it.

Blue

Legendary Member
I always cycle how I feel and I never feel like cycling too slowly :sad:

I retired 3 years ago and cycle purely for fitness and fun. I don't see cycling hard as punishment - it's fun, fun, fun!

I live at the landward end of a peninsula and do all my riding around the country and coastal roads of said peninsula. The roads are rough but traffic is fairly light most of the time so it's easy to put the hammer down and still enjoy some breathtaking scenery.

monnet

Guru
As soon as I clip my shoes in to the pedals it's go go go! On a number of occasions I've thought, 'oh I'll just go out over the flat roads for an easy 30 miles today, take my time and enjoy the scenery.' The next thing I know I'm gunning it thinking, '30 miles, it ain't far, I'm going well let's see if we can get this thing over with in under 90 minutes'. Another favourite is to go for the aforementioned flat 30 and have an impromptu change of heart resulting in a 40+ flat ride, or being unableto resis the call of the hills and then spending a couple of hours flogging my guts out up and down Lancashire's finest fells.

Whatever I do though, I always come back feeling great.

I cycled everywhere when I was a lad, up to my middle teens. Then girls, drink, exams all colluded to keep me off the bike. For a while at least. Then got an MTB and did that for a good few years before business commitments one again meant lack of bike time. Then about four years ago I happened to take a good look at myself and the lifestyle I was living. It occurred to me that I should be fitter and "happier" within myself. So dug out the old Kona MTB and went out. I know it'll seem a cliche, but that one ride has changed my life. I'm 4 stone lighter, a hell of a lot fitter, and relatively stress free. One proviso, the price I've paid are bank statements with more bike gear than anything else! :sad:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Most of the time I go as fast as the conditions will allow, so if the roads are clear I like to hammer along. These days my definition of hammering along may not be quite as fast as it was a few years back. Some days though i like to pootle along and take in as much of the scenery and smells as possible.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Lardyboy said:
I cycled everywhere when I was a lad, up to my middle teens. Then girls, drink, exams all colluded to keep me off the bike. For a while at least. Then got an MTB and did that for a good few years before business commitments one again meant lack of bike time. Then about four years ago I happened to take a good look at myself and the lifestyle I was living. It occurred to me that I should be fitter and "happier" within myself. So dug out the old Kona MTB and went out. I know it'll seem a cliche, but that one ride has changed my life. I'm 4 stone lighter, a hell of a lot fitter, and relatively stress free. One proviso, the price I've paid are bank statements with more bike gear than anything else! :angry:

You dont have to convince us Lardyboy.... xx(:biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
I must try this again. Last year, i started the first couple of miles nice and steady...warming up. It lets your muscles warm up, you dont struggle early on, the ride overall seems easier and it makes very little time difference to the ride overall.

Christ, it's not rocket science is it, but resisting the urge to put the hammer down too soon is hard.

on the road

Über Member
I hate riding slow, I seem to be programmed to ride fast :angry:

buggi

Bird Saviour
i'm not fast but someone today asked me what motivated me to keep riding. i think the following:

1. first and foremost, to reduce the size of my butt! :smile:
2. to keep my cellulite at bay. :ohmy:
3. the people i meet :biggrin:
4. i hate the gym. it's BORING xx(
5. the amount of calories i burn compared to the same time spent in the gym amazes me. :ohmy:
6. i feel better and look better :biggrin: and i think that is the fresh air factor too.
7. because of most of the above, my sex life improves :tongue: (well it would do if i had a bloke :angry:)

Top Bottom