What d'yer think? Bit o' duck tape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
This is the second such thread in as many weeks. What are they making modern wheels out of? I used to think wheels would last the lifetime of a bike :ohmy:. Or is this just a thing with new fangled super fast lightweight wheels?
In fairness, I think I have to say, this wheel is elderly and has been horribly abused. It's a proper road wheel - nothing fancy, low end Ritchey, but not designed for the kinds of roads my daughter's been riding lately. Terrible pot-holeage. It was never designed for this. And I must have got at least five years out of it - must have come off an ebay bike. Probably lasted a decade on London roads, give or take. Fair do's.

(Have to admit I was :eek: when she pointed it out to me. She doesn't like to make a fuss. :wacko:)

D

Deleted member 1258

Odd isn't it. When I worked in a bike shop (late 80s) I recall that the super skinny (20mm) aluminium racing rims of that time could crack (including mine) so it did happen, although it was always at the very edge of the rim, creeping into the braking surface. I can't recall seeing any of those older rims fail around the spoke area.

I had a couple fail in the 1980's, both failed in the same way as the op's did.

Drago

Legendary Member
Prit Stick some tissue over that and itll be good for an MOT.

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I was expecting this sort of thing to happen when i started riding at over 25 stone. Alas, both the Cheap Fat bike and the Elephant Bike have caused me no issues right the way through weight loss over the past 18 or so months. I do avoid potholes like they are full of plague though. Ive said it now though aye i? I'll get on my bike tomorrow and the wheel will explode...

Top Bottom