What e-book are you listening to?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I signed up with Audible, e-books are expensive if you ask me but it turns out for me there's no need to buy any because they give you plenty of free credits. This fills my 30min each way walk to work.
So far listened for free to:
*Surrounded by idiots. An interesting personality type analysis. Are you red, blue green or Yellow?
*The selfish gene by Richard Dawkins. All the answers?
*Derren Brown's boot camp for the brain. An entertaining listen on how we make choices.
*Mountains according to G. Just started but a good listen, nice to hear about his early years in the Welsh mountains.

I've considered Audible in the past, but whenever I've looked further into it, I've decided against it as with my current 'facility' I pay nothing and have signed up to nothing yet can listen to, and download to keep, many, many superb books, dramas, comedies, who-dunnits and more - mainly but not entirely BBC radio recordings - through archive.com - which is a brilliant site but not the most intuitive or easiest to search. I became very familiar with it, though, during my years of visual impairment. I regularly post links to different things on a private yarncraft site I admin, most yarn crafts being eminently suitable for listening-to while doing them. Also good for downloading to whatever device you carry around with you to listen to while walking, waiting, or whatever-ing, whenever you could benefit from a little distraction.
If anyone has any requests, I'd be willing to see what I can find.

I subscribe to bookbub and The Fussy Librarian. This gives me enough free or dirt-cheap e-books to fill my old Kindle 3. I'm not partial to the idea of audio books, just doesn't do anything for me. Although one day, I may get a Harry Potter just to here Stephen Fry reading it...

I'm not partial to the idea of audio books,

I wasn't, either - until it became increasingly clear, as my eyesight worsened and surgeons kept shaking their heads and saying 'too difficult', that they were going to be the only option.

I soon discovered that some of them - not all by any means - were even better as audiobooks than as 'read' books. I also found that - unless I totally switched off from a particular voice right at the beginning - which was unfortunately not unusual; as my eyesight dimmed so my hearing seemed to become more 'fussy' - I usually got something quite different from an audiobook than I'd got from the identical book read with my eyes. Not better or more enjoyable, or worse and less enjoyable, but different. The wonders of science have enabled my eyesight to be restored and I can read again, but I still listen to, and enjoy, audiobooks of different types.

Thank you!

IcySwan1

I had over 4 years worth of audio books I transferred from CDs I bought to iTunes. I didn’t back it up on the cloud, my hard drive crashed, and I couldn’t recover the information even after paying a lot of money.

I now have a large library on Audible. I currently am listening to War and Peace ( unabridged) and will next start on Les Miserable, also unabridged.

BTW, I read, it listened, to The Selfish Gene. Science seemed spot on. Social impact less so, in my lay view.
Mike

I had over 4 years worth of audio books I transferred from CDs I bought to iTunes. I didn’t back it up on the cloud, my hard drive crashed, and I couldn’t recover the information even after paying a lot of money.

I now have a large library on Audible. I currently am listening to War and Peace ( unabridged) and will next start on Les Miserable, also unabridged.

BTW, I read, it listened, to The Selfish Gene. Science seemed spot on. Social impact less so, in my lay view.
Mike
Agreed, ouch!
:eek:

Top Bottom