What effect do bicycle tire sizes have on riding?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cadseen2

I have narrowed down my choice of bike (for now at least) to the Tern Link (20x2" tires) and Node (24x2"). Where I live there is a fair amount of road debris and uneven surfaces and I am looking to ride it for perhaps prolonged distances. So you would say the Node would ride easier than the Link but wouldn't be as nimble and responsiveness to inputs? How much of the disadvantages of a smaller wheel can be offset with an adequately shock absorbing seat post or saddle? Which would be better for mild off-roading? When buying a folder would you follow the rule to "buy the biggest wheels you can get away with carrying folded (on a bus, train, car trunk etc.)"? I know, I know, its all kind of subjective.

I didnt see a description of what type of riding you intended to do. Larger wheels would cope with uneven surfaces and prolonged distances better. but if you intend to carry it on a bus regular then folding may be better.

CharleyFarley

I favor any tire that keeps the rims from touching the road. Actually, i like balloon tires. On my cruiser I put wider tires than the original ones supplied - 26" x 2.125. On my fat bike, 26" x 4" but not knobbly ones. I ride pavement and I'm a casual rider. The wider tires deal with bad sidewalks (where I mostly ride) better than narrow tires. Some of my rides are about 20 miles, and a road bike with narrow tires would be wrecked on the sidewalks. It depends on the kind of riding you do that determine which kind of tires you should use.

NickWi

Guru
Then there is the question of tread. My Orbea came with 40mm gravel tyres on it. It felt okay, but I didn't really something that chunky for road use. I swapped to the make of 28mm road tyres I had on my other road bike. Come winter and claggy roads I thought, hey, I've got these semi knobbly tyres hanging around, they've got to help on wet & muddy roads. Yuk, I mean just yuk. It felt like riding through treacle. One ride was all it took and the 28s went back on.

Lina Roth

Welcome back to cycling! Your question is a good one, and there are many factors to consider when choosing the right tire size for your bike. Here are some advantages and disadvantages of different tire sizes:

Larger tires (26" and up):

• Advantages: larger tires provide more cushioning and absorb more shock from bumps in the road or trail, making for a more comfortable ride. They also tend to provide better traction and stability, especially on rough terrain.
  • Disadvantages: larger tires are typically heavier and slower than smaller tires. They also require more effort to get up to speed and maintain speed, which can be a disadvantage for road riding.
Smaller tires (16" and 20"):

• Advantages: smaller tires are generally lighter and quicker than larger tires, making them a good choice for speed and agility. They are also easier to handle and maneuver in tight spaces, which can be useful for urban cycling.
  • Disadvantages: smaller tires provide less cushioning and absorb less shock, making for a less comfortable ride. They also tend to be less stable and provide less traction than larger tires, which can be a disadvantage on rough terrain.
Thin tires (less than 2"):

• Advantages: thin tires are lighter and more aerodynamic than wider tires, making them a good choice for speed and efficiency. They also tend to be more nimble and easier to handle.
  • Disadvantages: thin tires provide less cushioning and absorb less shock, making for a less comfortable ride. They also tend to provide less traction and stability, especially on rough terrain.
Wide tires (2.5" and up):

• Advantages: wide tires provide more cushioning and absorb more shock than thin tires, making for a more comfortable ride. They also tend to provide better traction and stability, especially on rough terrain.
  • Disadvantages: wide tires are typically heavier and slower than thin tires. They also require more effort to get up to speed and maintain speed, which can be a disadvantage for road riding.
Ultimately, the right tire size for you depends on your riding style, the type of terrain you'll be riding on, and your personal preferences. For general recreational riding, a medium-width tire (between 2" and 2.5") is a good choice, as it provides a balance of speed, comfort, and traction. For off-road riding, wider tires with aggressive tread are a good choice, while for road riding, thinner tires are ideal.

silva

Über Member
In the past cycling was just on flat road, shocks were nearly non existent. Since the choice to separate bicycles from cars as an elevated section of the road, it's nearly everywhere bumping all the time and if you use a bike for shopping, quite some weight, that means breaking spokes at a miss of such an up. When I decided to search for a better bike for such loaded jobs, I opted for 62 mm, for that reason alone. Didn't have a spoke breaking since, despite further misses of such ups.
Now and then I have to use an older bike, and I can't say a wide ryre rides easier / harder / whatever than a standard width one - I don't feel difference, maybe indicating that certain cons are compensated for by certain pros.

icowden

Veteran
I have narrowed down my choice of bike (for now at least) to the Tern Link (20x2" tires) and Node (24x2"). Where I live there is a fair amount of road debris and uneven surfaces and I am looking to ride it for perhaps prolonged distances. So you would say the Node would ride easier than the Link but wouldn't be as nimble and responsiveness to inputs?
Essentially. The other issue you have is less about the tyres and more about the size. The Node is 2kh heavier at 14.2kg and has one less gear. I have the Tern Joe with the 27.5 inch wheels. That's 16kg but has 27 gears.

They all ride pretty well I think, but yes the Joe is not particularly nimble when you look at the nippiness of the Bromptonerati. All 3 bikes have wide tyres aimed at comfort.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
My favourite wheel size is the good old fashioned 27 X 1 1/4" aka as fitted on majority of British road bikes between the late 60's and 70's .
When fitted with a pr of decent tyres they just seem to roll along so nicely.

Indeed, although 8mm diameter shouldn't really make any noticeable difference.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Indeed, although 8mm diameter shouldn't really make any noticeable difference.

But it does

Top Bottom