What else could I have done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenb

Guru
Last night, sunset, I'm filtering slowly between the outside line of cars and middle lane, everything stationary or just about (heading up Constitution Hill for those of you that know it). As I draw level with a police van the officer in the passenger seat throws the door open with his weight behind it. Edge of door hits me on shoulder and right hand and slams me into the stationary 4x4 on my inside. Result? 4 hours in A&E, two fingers lacerated to the bone, lots of stitches, nasty contusion on shoulder and feel like I've been hit in the ribs by a Samoan prop forward. I've been (figuratively) scratching my head and wonder what I did wrong or should have done different. Other options seemed to be to gutter hug (never), pass on the outside (no, lots on-coming), cycle path (why? that's what roads are for) or pavement (not since I was 10).

Any (serious) suggestions most welcome, there has to be a learning point here!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Horrible.

What was the reaction of the officer who hit you?

OP
OP
stephenb

stephenb

Guru
He seemed pretty shocked to be honest and I don't think said anything. There were half a dozen or so police inside and by the time a couple of motor cycle officers turned up there were blue lights everywhere outside Buck house (I've not been a stereotypical terrorist since the Good Friday agreement so heaven knows what that passing motorists thought). The ambulance never showed so I got a ride home (with bike) in the van which was a nice touch though I'm not sure the neighbours were impressed.

RedRider

Pulling through
A similar thing happened to a mate of mine not too far away (near Hyde Park Corner). He was filtering between two lanes and it was a passenger door that opened. Big scar on his shoulder. It took a couple of years but he got £9k compo. The police should have looked before opening the door, from what you say it's their fault. My friend takes it a little easier now when filtering.

jarlrmai

Veteran
This is not your fault you need to take this seriously and take it up with the police, start writing everything down, getting badge numbers, names, times, locations witnesses etc.

Get a police incident number and all that good stuff.

Opening a car door on someone without looking is something which is the responsibility of the opener and you need to pursue this to ensure you get compensation.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Please tell me @stephenb that are insured/legally covered with BC / CTC?

Davidsw8

I doubt you could have done anything differently Stephen, maybe cycle slower past that kind of very slow moving/stopped traffic?

I had a similar thing that didn't result in any injury and it was down to pure luck and where it was. Cycling outside the Central Hall in Westminster, lots of people milling around, lots of very slow traffic and I have to filter down the inside because the road is too narrow to overtake and the traffic was almost at a stand still. Anyway, the passenger in the hire car to my right decides she wants to get out - the car hadn't pulled over to the kerb or made any signal etc. Luckily, I can't go fast on that stretch as it's all cobbled so I managed to stop in time with no collision.

Only thing I could have done differently would have been to get off and push the bike that stretch.

I am quite shocked at how often people fling their car doors open without looking (or caring), it's only because we know to keep clear of the 'door zone' that more cyclists don't get injured. What makes your situation worse is that it was a cop!

Hip Priest

Veteran
You could've gone slower, or stayed on the pavement, or stayed in bed. But none of it would change the fact that the officer was entirely at fault for opening a door into your path.

OP
OP
stephenb

stephenb

Guru
Thanks all for the good comments - I've been a CTC member for ages so after a bit of thought put a call in to their legal line. I'm not after the jackpot, but I do want the police at least to acknowledge that the fault was theirs. I didn't get badge numbers or anything, guess I wasn't thinking too clearly afterwards but hopefully it will be in the incident report. Take care out there!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
With all the comments on other threads about incidents not being recorded, it made me wonder if plod taking you home meant this could be another case?

Then again – any damage to the 4x4? If so, they’ll be wanting to claim....

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
The policemen in the van should have taken your details and reported it themselves within 24 hours, shouldn't they? .... especially as it was an incident causing injury to a third party [you].

Top Bottom