What else could I have done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Accident should have been logged, internally by the driver, so there will be a record somewhere of it taking place. Given the fact further police vehicles turned up, they'd have to account for their whereabouts. All logged.
Make a Formal Request to the police via the nearest/best for you station for the details of the vehicle(s) involved & driver details.

Last edited:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
It's usually safer filtering up the outside rather than the inside or centre. Less likely for a door to be thrown open, less likely for someone to change lanes. If oncoming traffic and narrowness of the road prevents this, then I will filter up the inside, but very slowly.

As you say you were already cycling very slowly, doesn't sound like there'a anything further you could have done. We can only minimise risks, not eliminate them.

Davidc

Guru
Thanks all for the good comments - I've been a CTC member for ages so after a bit of thought put a call in to their legal line. I'm not after the jackpot, but I do want the police at least to acknowledge that the fault was theirs. I didn't get badge numbers or anything, guess I wasn't thinking too clearly afterwards but hopefully it will be in the incident report. Take care out there!
Yes, do.

Crankarm

Guru
:sad:

Yep. Police have admitted liability so we're now into a discussion about compensation (rather the lawyers are, Slater & Gordon through the CTC bless 'em). I have a seriously busted right index finger, at least one broken rib and some pretty heavy bruising, so may get the price of a not-very-good set of tyre levers in the next 5 years or so

Hopefully you will get a reasonable sum in compensation. I wonder if the officer who doored you is going to be prosecuted? If not make a complaint to the IPCC.

A recent case http://road.cc/content/news/97491-woman-who-doored-cyclist-fined-£133

With all those cop vehicles there must be hours of CCTV that have recorded the aftermath and also may be the incident itself so the perpetrator is stuffed. I would like to know what if anything is being done to discipline or re-train the officer who did this to you. An apology would be nice but I doubt you'll get one. I wonder if there will be a cover up?

GWS.

gbs

Guru
That was horribly bad luck i.e. an unfortunate coincidence in time and space BUT I have to say that filtering down the centre of the road with a flashing light has so far been safe for me. Regularly oncoming cars move over to accommodate me on Putney Bridge for example.

OP
OP
stephenb

stephenb

Guru
Hopefully you will get a reasonable sum in compensation. I wonder if the officer who doored you is going to be prosecuted? If not make a complaint to the IPCC.

A recent case http://road.cc/content/news/97491-woman-who-doored-cyclist-fined-£133

With all those cop vehicles there must be hours of CCTV that have recorded the aftermath and also may be the incident itself so the perpetrator is stuffed. I would like to know what if anything is being done to discipline or re-train the officer who did this to you. An apology would be nice but I doubt you'll get one. I wonder if there will be a cover up?

GWS.
Thanks Crankarm and take your point re the IPCC though TBH I just want the claim settled and then to be shot of the whole thing so I can try to work out important stuff like whether, when, if I'll ever have the courage to get back on a bike again (which I'm sort of doubting right now). I don't particularly want the policeman sacked, shot or whatever, he made a mistake and I'd just about bet he'll never do it again.

OP
OP
stephenb

stephenb

Guru
slower, expect every car to door u,stay in primary and dont filter?.but its deffinatly the officers responcability to check befor opening the door.
Slower, for sure was a possibility though I reckon I was doing about 8mph with brakes covered and could have stopped if the door had opened in front but was hit side on. If I'd stayed in primary and not filtered I'd have been at the end of a half mile long, 3 lane wide queue of traffic, so I don't think that was an option.

buggi

Bird Saviour
if passing parked cars its always best to ride out of the door zone but filtering is a completely different kettle of fish, you don't expect it from a vehicle thats waiting in a queue if traffic . Officer is a total idiot, they know its legal for cycles and motorbikes to do this and he should have looked. You could have been a motorbike and, besides which, they could have killed you. There has been a 25% rise in this in the last two years with no real action taken by the police, despite 600 cyclist a year being killed or seriously injured. You need to pursue this. Would be interested to hear what CTC say.

OP
OP
stephenb

stephenb

Guru
Well, here's a quick update. Received a letter from the Met advising that the copper driving the vehicle whose door took me out received an "absolute discharge" on a charge of driving without due care & intention. Am I wrong to be surprised?? Thought not:angry:

Top Bottom