What Else Do I Need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G2EWS

Hi All,

Been posting various questions and have now got most of this delivered with advice from a friend via Wiggle:

1 x dhb Merino Longsleeve Zipneck Baselayer M_190 Extra Large Blue
1 x dhb Minima S Waterproof Jacket Extra Large Hi Vis Yellow
1 x dhb Vaeon Roubaix Padded Bib Tight Extra Large Black
1 x Shimano MT53 Multi-Use SPD Shoes 45 Black
1 x Shimano PD-T780 XT MTB SPD Trekking Pedals
1 x Shimano SPD MTB Cleats SH56 Multi Release
1 x SealSkinz Waterproof Winter Cycle Gloves Medium Black
1 x dhb Extreme Weather Neoprene Overshoe Large Black
1 x SealSkinz Waterproof Beanie Extra Extra Large Black
2 x dhb 12cm Thermo Cycling Sock UK 8 - 9.5 Grey/Black
1 x Crud Twinpac Crud Catcher & Raceguard Black
Just awaiting arrival of the socks and replacement gloves as Medium was too small!
So I guess I need a jersey? Been looking at these two:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-windslam-blade-long-sleeve-jersey/
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-long-sleeve-windslam-roubaix-jersey/
Which if either would you recommend, or do you suggest another.
Then I will need some waterproof lightweight trousers. How about these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-minima-waterproof-trousers/
Plus what else might I be missing off my new, very limited clothing range? I understand that I will need to buy duplicates of some of these, but will wait to find out if I am happy with what I have first time round before I go down that route.
Thanks for your help.
Regards
Chris

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
TBH, you have more stuff than me, lol! I would not worry about more kit, just get out riding! It will soon become apparent what you need.

OP
OP
G2EWS

G2EWS

Hi Rob,

As mentioned elsewhere, I took a gamble on buying my bike and riding it to work. I was really surprised based on past experience that I totally fell in love with the ride and the bike. So much so, if I miss going to the office I try and get out in the evening. I think the key thing is the bike is so good. Gear changes work easily and I am very comfortable. Buying Halfrauds specials in the past was obviously my mistake!

The problem is, I don't want to be put off by the cold and wet. OK, if the heavens have opened seriously or it's blowing a gale then that would not appeal. So what I am trying to do, is make sure that I am properly clothed with warm, dry kit. I don't want to get to work soaked and freezing cold and wondering why the hell I did it! I want to still feel good about the bad weather and continue with this great feeling.

Hopefully what I have along with a jersey and waterproof trousers will do the job.

Regards

Chris

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
open-road2.jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Do you have a shower or some facilities to get a wash when at work? If so, I wouldn't bother with waterproof trousers. A jersey, yes, good idea, you can carry food and spare tubes in the pockets on the back. Maybe a packable wind or rain jacket and a base layer.

You can spend loads of money preparing for every situation and if you have the money fair do's. BUT I have found that the act of riding is the best way of finding out what you need and what is just unrequired expense.

But as you can probably tell I am pro bare minimum with regards to kit etc. As long as the bike is well maintained and I have my few supplies to sort out basic mechanicals and some food for on the road, I am not going to die out in the wilderness and I couldn't be happier! Carrying too much and worrying about every eventuality really cripples the feeling of freedom for me.

Also I find riding in the rain has it's own pleasant qualities!

OP
OP
G2EWS

G2EWS

Hi Rob,

Thanks again for your comments. Yes, I had a shower installed a few years ago - it is my company - but never used it until now!

I am sure you are totally correct and I will follow your advice, but I just don't want to find I ride to work and don't like it. I don't need excuses - the pleasure - to ride to work, or more importantly excuses not to. I am a very positive person, indeed I have taught it to the principles many people over the years. So making sure this continues to be fun is what it is about.

Fortunately there is very little in the backpack which includes a laptop and the new rain mac shown above. Oh and how anyone could get it into that very tiny little pouch defeats me!

Best regards

Chris

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Plus what else might I be missing off my new, very limited clothing range? I understand that I will need to buy duplicates of some of these, but will wait to find out if I am happy with what I have first time round before I go down that route.

You won't know what is missing yet. I've been doing this for ages and every now and then I find I need something- like warmer gloves for instance- so I just buy 'em as the need arises.

You'll have a better idea of what you really need once you've worked out what works for you from the kit you already have. Good idea to wait until getting duplicates.

The only thing I will comment on is waterproof trousers- these are useful if you want to travel in regular clothes, very useful in fact, but I never use them when wearing cycling stuff- I let my legwarmers / longs or legs (depending on season) get wet. It's not unpleasant and my legs don't get cold even in December. Feet do get cold tho' so good to get the overshoes and socks straight off.

Top Bottom