what energy supplements do you take?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

navrat_biker

Hi,

Interested in what the main supplement us bikers go for, for our supplementation.

cheers to all who take part,

See poll.

hmmm: some reason i can do a poll !!!
so:

Options are:

Gels
Hydration drinks
Energy drinks
Semi Solid Chews (like shot bloks, ride shots)
Bars
normal food (eg fig rolls)
other: just post

Bacon Sarnies...... what else does a tourist need?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bacon Baps (Brekkie)
Burgers anna coke or 2 (lunch)
Jelly Babies and Beef Jerky (in-flight refuelling)
Sport Hydration Tabs + a teaspoon of honey (making water taste nicer)
Pint of Beer Nesquick Milkshake (recovery product)

Simples innit

Gels are for triatheletes and girls...

peteoc

I must be a girl then as I tend to have a gel or 2 depending on the distance but I also drink powerade as though it's water, it does the job :ohmy:

yello

Like John The Monkey, common-or-garden shop bought stuff; fig bars, bananas, etc. Or home made flap jack.

I used to buy gels and the like but they're, imo, both too expensive and not necessary at my level of performance. That said, if I'm doing a long ride (200km plus) I might take a couple of gels or energy bars just for variety and concentrated energy etc dosage.

On the bike/me:
Drink - 1 bidon with diluting juice (like Ribina) with a pinch of salt in it, 1 bidon with plain water.
Food - Jelly babies, nuts, bananas

Cake stops:
Drink - Tea
Food - Cake

Broadside

Guru
Flapjack and fruit for normal rides but I do use gels for Sportives.

Like many on here I tend to mix my own energy drinks using stuff from myprotein.co.uk and save 75% of the cost compared to buying the branded drinks. Their prices would need to come down by 50-60% before I would consider using them.

I accept that someone has to develop the recipes in the first place but the pricing seems way OTT and the sensible side of my head just won't let me buy it.

ChrisKH

Guru
I am mainly fuelled by cake. Home made cake sees a 20% increase in performance.

NB Avoid cake with too much sickly filling before attempting Ditchling Beacon......

Gels, jelly babies, flapjacks, Tate and Lyle syrup sponge and mule energy bars are ok too.

Oh, yes and banananas

sarahpink

like the bars espeically the go bars and normal food dried fruit,cereal bars fruit etc drinks seem like a waste of calories as gels.

Top Bottom