What ever happened to ......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Flint Catchers?

flint-catchers4.jpg
flint-catchers5.jpg

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/components/flint-catchers-comp.html

There was a time when everybody used to use these and with the state of the current roads and the increase in visits from the puncture fairy, could have a place on today's bikes?

Also with all the retro builds being reported on Chat, has anybody fitted them?

Keith

martint235

Dog on a bike
Doesn't it rub on the tyre? Would drive me nuts.

sidevalve

Über Member
A very similar device was used in the 20s and 30s on m/cycles [only bigger of course] but they were mainly designed to remove horseshoe and boot nails. They were normally fitted with a tiny gap between the tyre and the saver the idea being that the nail [or whatever] would be flicked out before it was driven further in by the next wheel rotation. As the article says I suspect the effect was more imaginary than real.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Never heard of them. Any good really, or just a fad?

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
As the OP, I must admit to being in the autumn of my cycling years. I joined my first club in the Summer of '66 and flint catchers seemed to be quite popular. I never got round to using them myself, I was just a school boy living off pocket money and had to wait for Christmas for bits for my bike.

I also remember a few riders who just used tape and wrapped it round the forks, so it just skimmed the tyres - anybody try this method?

I'm now more than ever tempted to try them on my winter bike - If you are using them, please report in on the success and puncture rates.

Thanks all
Keith

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
For those old enough to remember.... they look like something Blue Peter would do with an old coat hanger and tape

"Today children we are going to show you how to make a flint catcher for fathers day, you can even decorate it with some fantastic colours to match his bike"

Top Bottom