What film did you watch last night?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Xmachina or something on last night.
I was absorbing london Pride after a meal out, i think it was pants

I also watched Ex Machina last night, having been to the cinema to watch it when it was first released

I thought is was a fascinating insight into Artificial Intelligence and the blurring of the lines between AI and humans. Some excellent performances too. Particularly liked the setting of the CEO's mansion...sort of Westworld meets Star Trek

The Pledge ( Netflix). Jack Nicholson plays a cop. On his last day on the force a young child is found murdered, he promises the child's mother he'll catch the killer.

Nicholson retires but bound by his promise he continues to hunt the killer, whatever the cost.

This is a dark gritty film with an unexpected twist, Nicholson as usual delivers an excellent performance.

Reactions: gbb

Levo-Lon

Guru
I also watched Ex Machina last night, having been to the cinema to watch it when it was first released

I thought is was a fascinating insight into Artificial Intelligence and the blurring of the lines between AI and humans. Some excellent performances too. Particularly liked the setting of the CEO's mansion...sort of Westworld meets Star Trek

I had a few London Prides..
Tho as you say stunning scenery , im not a Ai fan ..i find it creepy,

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Ex Machina - I've watched it before, but not reviewed it in this thread (I think).

A disturbing film, and one with lots to chew over thematically, as well as being beautifully shot. In the latter category, the location of Nathan's house/lab, and the way the chaos of nature surrounds and subverts it (one of the rooms is all clean lines and straight edges, save for a massive rockface that seems to have burst through the wall) foreshadowing the end of his "experiment", and failure to confine Ava.

I came away with the view that the film is about misogynists, rather than misogynist, although its a close run thing. Nathan's serial killer like room in which he's hung the partial "corpses" of his previous AIs is a particularly disturbing scene, as are any in which he interacts with Kyoko - that joyless dancing scene in particular. There's also the way that Caleb continually underestimates Ava. Ava turns this against them in the film's finale to make her escape.

Ava finds the means to escape in "skinning" what are, if we take Nathan's estimation of his position as "father", her sisters, and in using her sexuality and apparent weakness to manipulate Caleb and Nathan, which muddies the waters considerably. She has to play the roles the men expect her to in order to escape the terrible position into which she has been placed.

I found myself thinking about "Her" a lot while watching this. If "Her" is AI learning from a pleasant, but ineffectual human, Ava is an AI learning from a sociopathic tech billionaire, and the content of the internet (lord help her) and I think that's another theme offered by the film. In a world that is embracing robots, algorithms and technical disruption generally, how sanguine should we be about that process being driven by the bro-ish tech sector, and amoral market doctrine of maximum shareholder value?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ex Machina - I've watched it before, but not reviewed it in this thread (I think).

A disturbing film, and one with lots to chew over thematically, as well as being beautifully shot. In the latter category, the location of Nathan's house/lab, and the way the chaos of nature surrounds and subverts it (one of the rooms is all clean lines and straight edges, save for a massive rockface that seems to have burst through the wall) foreshadowing the end of his "experiment", and failure to confine Ava.

I came away with the view that the film is about misogynists, rather than misogynist, although its a close run thing. Nathan's serial killer like room in which he's hung the partial "corpses" of his previous AIs is a particularly disturbing scene, as are any in which he interacts with Kyoko - that joyless dancing scene in particular. There's also the way that Caleb continually underestimates Ava. Ava turns this against them in the film's finale to make her escape.

Ava finds the means to escape in "skinning" what are, if we take Nathan's estimation of his position as "father", her sisters, and in using her sexuality and apparent weakness to manipulate Caleb and Nathan, which muddies the waters considerably. She has to play the roles the men expect her to in order to escape the terrible position into which she has been placed.

I found myself thinking about "Her" a lot while watching this. If "Her" is AI learning from a pleasant, but ineffectual human, Ava is an AI learning from a sociopathic tech billionaire, and the content of the internet (lord help her) and I think that's another theme offered by the film. In a world that is embracing robots, algorithms and technical disruption generally, how sanguine should we be about that process being driven by the bro-ish tech sector, and amoral market doctrine of maximum shareholder value?

Your very good at this critic stuff @John the Monkey

Blow Up (1966) ...It's one of those cult films i've been meaning to watch for a few years now. After half an hour I realised that it's one of those arty movies in which bugger all happens, and after forty minutes, i turned it off and watched Snatch instead. It's an old favourite from a time when Guy Richie was capable of making a film that wasn't utter pants, and probably the last time Jason Statham was in a film that wasn't utter pants either... but i mostly watched it for Alan Ford who recently graced my screen in an episode of The Chinese Detective. "Do you know what nemesis means?".
ah blow-up,watched an italian doc about the making of it a few weeks ago and one of the original cast was at the showing, one of the models. Though my last memory of watching it was indeed that it is full of not a lot and far too modish. The most impressive thing about that film is maybe the location scouts who, for a film set in supposedly swinging London, found the park which is at the centre of the thing in far from swinging Woolwich.

If you want to improve Blow Up's standing in your list of cult films, I recommend Le Mepris by Godard. I was unfortunate enough to catch up with it, or maybe it with me, a few weeks ago. A cult and highly regarded by many for sure. In truth it is bloody awful and unbelievably mind numbing. It resorts to several lingering shots of Bardot's naked arse but even I am not that easily won over.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The Shallows.

Blake Lively vs a rather tetchy shark. Wasn't expecting much but really enjoyed it, even the slightly daft climax. Tension built nicely and at under 90 minutes the running time was about spot on.
8/10

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It was also the first movie that De Niro and Pacino starred in together

Not quite.
They were both in The Godfather Part II, which was earlier, but they were never in a scene together.
Heat was the first film where they actually shared any screen time.

Tin Pot

Guru
Hacksaw Ridge

I can’t quite believe the approval ratings for this movie. It takes a cartoon/zombie flick approach to war, whilst trying to deliver the true story of a conscientious objector and war hero.

5/10

Adam4868

Guru
Went to the cinema with daughter yesterday to watch Daddy's home 2.Was looking forward to sweets/popcorn and nodding off.But found myself laughing,and laughing even more at my daughter chuckling at it.Its so bad it's good.

AndyRM

XOXO
La La Land (again) - 8.5/10 (up half a point)

Without a baby in tow I enjoyed this even more the second time around as I could properly concentrate, though my mother in law was watching too and she doesn't really "get" films...

The final act is even sadder than I remember and now rivals Moulin Rouge as my favourite musical film: very stylish, emotionally involved without overdoing it, great performances from the leads, some incredible cinematography and I always like seeing LA in films.

Top Bottom