What fixie "tribe" are you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What fixie “tribe” are you?

According to the latest Cycle magazine, fixie riders can be divided up into 4 tribes: messengers (speaks for itself), fakengers – usually city boys who look like messengers but are clean and have new kit, hipsters from Hoxton and Shoreditch who ride in skinny jeans, and fraudax riders – full mudguards, pannier rack, found on the Dunwich Dynamo and commuting from South London.

I’m definitely in the Fraudax camp, I laughed out loud when I read it, as it’s me to a T.

What do other forum members identify with?

yello

Closest to fraudax... but I have no rack on the bike nor do I commute. So really, none of them!

domtyler

Über Member
If I had to pick one it would have to be Fakenger. :biggrin:

This is on account of the fact that I cycle into a job in the city on a fixie (sometimes), I don't actually try and dress up like a cycle courier. Honest!

GrahamG

Guru
I was reading that last night too. The Fraudax label cracked me up - I'm a mixture of that a fakenger, no rack but mudguards and two brakes but with a courier bag :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
I'm in the fifth tribe. Unfixed.

Read the article on the way in. Guy who bought the LeMond fixed mostly because it was fashionable struck me as a bit funny. But what would I know. Never been a fan of fashion. And he is on a bike.

OP
OP
T
ChrisKH said:
I'm in the fifth tribe. Unfixed.

Read the article on the way in. Guy who bought the LeMond fixed mostly because it was fashionable struck me as a bit funny. But what would I know. Never been a fan of fashion. And he is on a bike.

That was funny - bought it because it goes with his Apple and Muji kit. I wonder what his road rash will go with?

And was anyone else a bit peeved at the final crack about fixie riders moving on to segways or unicycles?

GrahamG

Guru
That cracked me up aswell. Apple, Muji, fixed wheel - I can spend money to make me cool!!

However, if you think about it, he's being totally honest just saying "yep, I'm a fashion victim" it's far classier than someone in denial.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I haven't got a fixie. If I did have one I'd use it for commuting and so I'd have guards. It'd look fraudax.

When my cross bike is built I may not require the extra flexibility of gears on the commuter bike- currently also used for general winter riding- so maybe I can fix that.

Will1985

Über Member
Hmm....certainly a cross between fraudax and fakenger for me. Sometimes I'm out in full lycra, the bike is usually clean anyway, but other times I am in rolled up jeans or a pair of Humvees and a t-shirt...just depends on what I'm doing. Don't have a rack, but do have mudguards (not on at the moment).

Greenbank

Über Member
No aspect of any cycling culture will ever penetrate Birmingham.

HTH.

I would be a Fraudax but I actually do ride Audaxes on this.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I'm of the tribe that rides his in lycra, sometimes baggy shorts depending on where i'm going. Dont have a rack or mudguards.
So none really:becool:

dudi

I dont really fit into any of those...

I have a pared down steel frame, no extras. one brake and a big gear. set up as a TT-type bike (full TT bar-set and deep profile rims). used for speedy commutes and simple fast weekend riding. I ride it in full lycra, except for the commute, when i put on some baggys to spare the blushes of the girls I work with.

I'm bemused by this "fashion" rubbish. never have undersood it.

Nick G

Closest to a fraudax. I commute into the city on an un-pimped converted racer with mudguards, I wear lycra and I come in from north not south London. Never done the Dunwich Dynamo, however. What's it like?

Top Bottom