What foods should I be eating before riding or to give me the energy to build stamina and fitness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

will

good advice here - also don't forget to eat on the ride if going longer than 90 minutes or so

I do a lot of rides around three hours in length and if I don't put some calories in me during , I start feeling run down

postman

Legendary Member
Thanks for those tips also.Have done the beans for years,but like the idea of scrambled egg and porridge.Ialso do a honey drink the night before.Got the idea from Brian Blessed on one of his Everest programmes.It is an required taste though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
postman said:
I also do a honey drink the night before.Got the idea from Brian Blessed on one of his Everest programmes.It is an required taste though.
Not that I've seen what's in his honey drink ... but I know what I put in mine - Whiskey then it tastes fine (as long as its not your husband putting it in - he has too light a hand to make a whiskey toddy properly;)).

yello

From www.cptips.com

On long distance riding (50 - 100 miles), it says...

As intensity increases above 60% VO2 max., it becomes more important to avoid eating in the 4 hour pre-ride interval to avoid GI distress.

I regularly ride 50 plus miles and this advice surprises me. I have no idea what my VO2 max is but I would have thought I ride at over 60% max.

I always eat within the 4 hours before my big rides. Wouldn't dream of doing otherwise. Maybe I shouldn't??

Top Bottom