What footwear? !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Emsy4

Emsy4

Thanks peeps! They are metal pedals with grips, hence the skinned shins:/

xzenonuk

Veteran
what pedals do you have? im just using flat ones with inbuilt pins and normal cheap trainers from decathlon, i got the odd minor slip in the wet but nothing major.

ah if their the type that has their grip on the edges and all metal switch to flat ones with little pins sticking out, i know from experience the shins hurt a lot less when you slip compared to the near serrated metal edges on some pedals, plus the flat metal ones with little pins really do hurt less and are less likely to slip in my experience :smile:

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Prepare for a barrage of advice on going clipless! Personally I've never felt the need to go down that route, as I find that astroturf football trainers are perfect for cycling. The soles are quite firm, and the small pimples grip onto pedals really well. The uppers are smooth enough to take a neoprene overshoe, or else can be waterproofed with a bit of traditional Dubbin or similar polish. Now that more and more women are playing football these days, I'm guessing it should be possible to get a lady's pair. Don';t know if there is such a thing as a hockey shoe - if that might be more ladylike.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Hiking shoes/trainers here too. The choice of pedal makes the biggest difference to me, the type of alloy pedals with pins are the best I've found - dmr, superstar etc. I have superstar ones which are fantastic on the mtb as I was fed up of falling off and clipping in and out constantly but for the road bike I'm clipped in all the time, if you're rides are not all stop/start then I would really persist and get to grips as they're so much better.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Looking for advice on footwear. Have bog standard pedals, can't be doing with clipping myself in. It would inevitably end in disaster but can't find anything that's quite right footwear wise. Trainers slip in the rain, and getting fed up with skinning my shins. Wear my doc martens for riding to work but find them a tad heavy for any further.
Trail running shoes.
Stiffer soles than trainers and designed for running over rocks etc.

xzenonuk

Veteran
if your near a decathlon they have some sweet trainers for cheap and can try them on etc, my 17 quid pair are cheaper and comfier than much more expensive brands eg nike air etc

kalenji trainers lol, they work awesome on flat peddles with pins, i had a pair of hardsoled trainers but when cycling my right foot was acting up, its never been the same since i twisted and sprained it along with my ankle about 8 years ago and started giving me hassle when i decided i got too fat lol, yet with the cheap kalenji trainers i find them so comfy and light plus my foot didn't act up as much when cycling, yet their classed as running shoes lol

Top Bottom