What freesat box to get ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edwards80

Über Member
Can't see the links currently as Argos.com is down.

I bought one of these a couple of years ago and it is excellent. Never missed a recording, simple/quick to use. Don't miss sky at all :smile:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-FOXSAT-HDR-Freesat-Digital-Recorder/dp/B001L5YU36

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
As was said it was down all last night so I couldn't look (but guess).

Get the foxsat. Do not buy the sagem.

Davidc

Guru
Check reviews, especially the Sagem's.

Then follow MY's advice.

I got this one and it's brilliant. Easier to use than Sky+, even my wife can use it intuitively, totally reliable and hasn't missed any recordings yet.

The reviews on the Bush aren't too bad but I opted for the Foxsat (Humax) on the basis that there are virtually no bad ones out there.

The cheapo Bush SD boxes are good value though - I got 2 when they were £25 and they do kitchen and any bedroom where it's wanted.

I linked to the Argos site as you say you're going to use them, beware though, I bought mine (in January) a lot cheaper than that from another site. (Although that site is now only £9 cheaper than Argos)

D

Deleted member 22722

Another +1 from me for the Humax Foxsat. I ditched Sky about 6 months back and haven't looked back since.

I don't think you'll find any interface better than the Sky one for ease of use but the Humax can do a lot more and you soon get used to it. Even more so with the freely available custom firmware.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cheers !
I will see if i can convince swmbo to stretch the budget a bit, found out i can use my sky box as freesat but i would not be able to record .

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I cancelled our sky sub last month, then got a couple of offers but held out.

On the final day of our subscription they offered all but sport and movies for 12 a month and it all records, happy days^_^

Doseone

Guru
Yup, another Humax here too. Great box but the remote is not as intuitive as a Sky remote. Just had to replace the remote as the ok button stopped working.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I cancelled our sky sub last month, then got a couple of offers but held out.

On the final day of our subscription they offered all but sport and movies for 12 a month and it all records, happy days^_^
mmm, i have till the 14 of nov so we will see, might pay me to wait till i buy a box , if i get a similar offer....

Davidc

Guru
Yup, another Humax here too. Great box but the remote is not as intuitive as a Sky remote. Just had to replace the remote as the ok button stopped working.
Interesting. I find sky remotes the most awkward counterintuitive devices on the planet, and sky+ even worse. No problems with the Humax one though. (At least, not once I'd realised there was a layer of plastic on the machine's front which was stopping most of its signal)

So - we're all different!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I have the Foxsat HDR and it is great and works well. If you are used to Sky+ you may find the remote control is nowhere near as simple as is the whole interface, with lots of small buttons that are rarely used (well in my case). Using the file manager is not as good as good Sky's planner it is also very slow at deleting programs if in HD, where as Sky seemed to be instant. I can forgive it's shortcomings as I was sick of getting fleeced by $ky for hundreds of channels of shoot that I never watched. I researched it well and it was the best one to buy at the time, although I have had it well over a year now. Whether anything better has come along in the meantime I would not know.

Top Bottom