What gear ratio to achieve average cadence?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
I read many articles and come to a general consensus the average cadence for a good amatuer have a cadence between 80 to 90 rpm. But no where can I find what's the average gear you guys. May I ask what's your front cog and rear cog when riding at such cadence. And I'm refering to flat road.

I know this may some stupid question as there are many possible permutations. But I believed I can learn something from your input.

Cadence in a particular gear will depend entirely on what speed you are riding at. Anyway, don't stress it - just ride.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Simple way to work it out for yourself, use the cadence measurement like a rev counter in a car (this will require you to be able to tell how hard you are working too), if your cadence is dropping through the gear being to big to maintain your desired range drop down a gear. If your cadence is jumping up above the desired range shift up a gear.

Forget about ratio's.

Sandra6

Veteran
I think it's a personal thing - some people cycle faster than others.
I tend to achieve an 90 rpm average and I don't often leave the middle cog (until I meet a big hill), and tend to stick in my fourth and fifth gears, maybe third on a (little)hill. Average speed of 13mph.
That is not the most technical of answers.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You can use Sheldon Brown's gear calculator to work out the numbers.

To give a few examples though... At 90 rpm cadence, I would use 39/21 to do 13 mph, 52/23 or 39/17 to do 16 mph and 52/16 to do 23 mph. NB I use a 14-28 cassette so those gear ratios do not involve extreme chain angles. If your cassette only went up to 23 teeth then you shouldn't really use a big ring/23 combination.

Top Bottom