What glue should I use on my helmet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
Don't worry i don't intend on glueing my helmet back together, but more so of the soft foam lining that velcro,s inside it. I took mine out tonight to give it a quick rinse under the tap, only to find out the soft foam is coming unstuck from the velvet type material. The helmet is one of those livall smart lids and wasn't particularly cheap so i would like to try and glue it back together again. I know some soft foams don't take to well to glue and was wondering if anyone here would know of a suitable glue for the job in hand.
Many thanks for any replies,
All the best,
Johnny :=)))

classic33

Leg End Member
Double sided tape strong enough?

You can buy glue for polystyrene at hobby and craft shops. UHU makes it, perhaps others to.

As for superglue aka cyanoacralate - I'm not so sure it will dissolve polystyrene as it doesn't contain the same solvents as contact glue which does dissolve helmet foam.

Drago

Legendary Member
Impact adhesive such as UHU.

I think I've used super glue on the foam pads but it didn't last long, sweat seems to be able to defeat it. Check SKS for pad spares, they have a lot of obscure ones or write to the customer service for some new ones.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I think I've used super glue on the foam pads but it didn't last long, sweat seems to be able to defeat it. Check SKS for pad spares, they have a lot of obscure ones or write to the customer service for some new ones.
I did send Email last night to the manufacturer. Hopefully i may get a reply but I'm not holding my breath for one. I'll pop into my local wilkos this morning and see what they've got on offer that will do the job. I think superglue will be unsuitable. It may dissolve the foam and will also make the soft foam brittle if it were to work. Double sided tape seems like a great idea, but will it hold up in strength from constant sweat. I think a suitable glue would be the best solution personally. Even the glue in a puncture repair kit might do the job??

I'd use a foam safe contact adhesive for attaching fabric to foam. I've used the exact product in the link below to glue the velcro tabs back on my helmet. UHU POR Expanded Polystyrene Glue. I have a tube in front of me now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Uhu-Por-Expanded-Polystyrene-Glue-40g-Tube/11009410247?iid=112495011382&rt=nc

One of my other pastimes is model aeromodelling, which is how I came across this stuff.

There are foam safe superglues available, but superglue sets rigid, whereas contact is still flexible.

Edited to add, if I remember it can be used as a contact adhesive, or as a regular glue, just apply and hold the parts together until it sets. I don't have the box any more and the instructions were on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom