What had Ed Sheeran done wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Guru
Location
South Wales
Vacuum cleaners are called Hoovers, even when they're not.
Sticky tape is called Sellotape, even when it's not.
Cable ties are called Ty-Raps, even when they're not.
Correcting fluid is called Tippex, even when it's not.

3 of those, maybe (although I think it much less common to use Hoover as a generic term now than it used to be).

But cable ties, I have never heard called anything else, and I had never even heard of Ty-Raps, never mind heard it used as a generic term for them.
 

Dogtrousers

Lefty tighty. Get it righty.
I've never heard of Ty-Raps
 

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've heard of Thai-Wraps. :shy:


I do not know the details - but converting it to electric would be understandable IF the engine was totally shot

i.e. had to be replaced and could not be fixed

which is possible

I know I'm on my own here but i love the idea of converting classic cars to electric.
A Reliant Scimitar often drives down my street. I love those cars. But its engine can heard three streets away and i doubt its emissions are doing public heath any favours. From that perspective maybe those polluting beasts shouldn't be on the roads, or maybe they should be converted to a cleaner, greener type of propulsion.
 
Location
Widnes
I've heard of Thai-Wraps. :shy:




I know I'm on my own here but i love the idea of converting classic cars to electric.
A Reliant Scimitar often drives down my street. I love those cars. But its engine can heard three streets away and i doubt its emissions are doing public heath any favours. From that perspective maybe those polluting beasts shouldn't be on the roads, or maybe they should be converted to a cleaner, greener type of propulsion.

I am sure some people will have been desperately clutching their pearls on reading that!!


However I can see your point
which is why I commented on the concept that if the engine is a write off then it is worth considering

I would hate them ALL to be converted - but if some are done properly
which means the stance and overall appearance if the same unless you look under the bonnet
then I can see the point in it and the advantages
 
Location
Widnes
As far as the term "road tax" goes
I managed to annoy someone on a "social media forum" a while ago when I pointed out that the argument "cyclist shouldn;t be on the road as they don;t pay road tax"
would also mean that people who live in a house with no private drive way would have to pay extra road tax to get to their car
as it would also - logically - mean that pedestrians would need to pay "Road Tax" as the pavement is part fo the road
and anyway - people oftne have to cross the road and therefore need to pay Road Tax

I think I confused him as he just insulted me (or tried to)

Oh - and I am assuming "him" and not "her" because
well
he was that kind of nutter
 
OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Location
Hexleybeef
As far as the term "road tax" goes
I managed to annoy someone on a "social media forum" a while ago when I pointed out that the argument "cyclist shouldn;t be on the road as they don;t pay road tax"
would also mean that people who live in a house with no private drive way would have to pay extra road tax to get to their car
as it would also - logically - mean that pedestrians would need to pay "Road Tax" as the pavement is part fo the road
and anyway - people oftne have to cross the road and therefore need to pay Road Tax

I think I confused him as he just insulted me (or tried to)

Oh - and I am assuming "him" and not "her" because
well
he was that kind of nutter

It’s a public highway.

Everyone has access to it for walking and cycling, with no age restrictions.

Some roads such as motorways do not have universal access for walkers or cyclists. We don’t bleat on about that.

These weird drivers seem to forget that they had to be 17 and pass a driving test to drive, as they only have access to the roads under licence. They don’t have a right to be on the road in a car.
 

Vapin' Joe

Formerly known as Smokin Joe
A vehicle must have valid insurance unless it is declared SORN. It would seem Ed had not declared it SORN. Silly boy.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/uninsured-vehicles

There is no defence in law for car insurance offences. Being in a coma, your dog dying, having dementia and being sent to a care home (this one happens), the elderly car drver dying and the car being left to the non-driving spouse who doesn't understand the rules, none of it counts - you will be found guilty. It is an "absolute offence."

I believe there is an exception. If you drive for Acme Widgets Ltd you are entitled to assume that the company has insured their vehicles, and if they haven't the offence falls squarely on them, not you.
 

Deeferdonk

Senior Member
So we agree that Road Tax doesn't exist in the way some entitled motorists mistakenly believe it does in that the money raised from VED is used exclusively to build and maintain roads. What you appear to be arguing above is that in order to convince them of their error we have to be nicer to them, but that's a separate point to the one you made initially that if enough people believe something then it becomes a fact through common usage and understanding. Irrespective of your example about Peewits and people called Bob, try deploying that defence when you get nicked for not "taxing" your motor.

So we agree that Road Tax doesn't exist in the way some entitled motorists mistakenly believe it does in that the money raised from VED is used exclusively to build and maintain roads
Well yes, i made that quite clear i thought. I was just arguing that in common usage a thing called "road tax" does exist as a label people use for VED. Therefore if someone says that road tax does not exist - its not strictly true. Plus why does it matter to the motorist if VED is used exclusively to build and maintain roads? Their bugbear is that they see it as something they have to pay to use the roads, that they perceive cyclists do not. Anyway VED does add to general taxation - which is used to build and maintain the roads, so they could still (wrongly) take the view that cyclists aren't paying their fair share of contribution to the road network.

What you appear to be arguing above is that in order to convince them of their error we have to be nicer to them, but that's a separate point to the one you made initially that if enough people believe something then it becomes a fact through common usage and understanding.
No, what I am arguing is that to win an argument you should try to be correct. If your retort is that "road tax doesn't exist", they can rightly respond "well it kind of does"

Irrespective of your example about Peewits and people called Bob, try deploying that defence when you get nicked for not "taxing" your motor.
I am confused. Why would me pointing out many people refer to VED as road tax , mean i don't think i should pay it? I have a direct debit set up and everything.
 

Shortfall

Über Member
Well yes, i made that quite clear i thought. I was just arguing that in common usage a thing called "road tax" does exist as a label people use for VED. Therefore if someone says that road tax does not exist - its not strictly true. Plus why does it matter to the motorist if VED is used exclusively to build and maintain roads? Their bugbear is that they see it as something they have to pay to use the roads, that they perceive cyclists do not. Anyway VED does add to general taxation - which is used to build and maintain the roads, so they could still (wrongly) take the view that cyclists aren't paying their fair share of contribution to the road network.


No, what I am arguing is that to win an argument you should try to be correct. If your retort is that "road tax doesn't exist", they can rightly respond "well it kind of does"


I am confused. Why would me pointing out many people refer to VED as road tax , mean i don't think i should pay it? I have a direct debit set up and everything.

You're over complicating it. Road tax doesn't exist "kind of" or otherwise. Your argument that language and terminology change in common usage doesn't overrule the law. People who pay VED have no more right to use the roads than those who don't regardless of whether it adds to general taxation (a non car owning cyclist paying higher rate income tax could conceivably pay way more tax than a minimum wage car owner for instance - not that it matters). If some motorists believe that paying VED confers them special privileges over those who don't that's not my problem, they're just wrong.
 

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Location
Inside my skull
Anyway VED does add to general taxation - which is used to build and maintain the roads, so they could still (wrongly) take the view that cyclists aren't paying their fair share of contribution to the road network.

It has been worked out that damage to the roads is proportional to the weight of the vehicle raised to the power of four. If car drivers were to pay their fair share for road maintenance only through VED; they would be paying tens of thousands of pounds every year. As it is, the amount of VED paid barely covers the cost of the tarmac the cars permenantly occupy.

Besides there is all the other costs down to cars and the land set aside for them, such as parking, driving up land prices. Imagine how much land including road space would be freed up without all the parked cars, plus car parks
 
Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I think it is an easy oversight on his part. The court has really enjoyed hammering a celebrity with fines. Its not even a drop in the ocean for him. But it does look like over kill
 

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Location
52 Festive Road
It has been worked out that damage to the roads is proportional to the weight of the vehicle raised to the power of four. If car drivers were to pay their fair share for road maintenance only through VED; they would be paying tens of thousands of pounds every year. As it is, the amount of VED paid barely covers the cost of the tarmac the cars permenantly occupy.

Besides there is all the other costs down to cars and the land set aside for them, such as parking, driving up land prices. Imagine how much land including road space would be freed up without all the parked cars, plus car parks

Axle load, not weight per se, but yes.
 

Exlaser2

Veteran
Well it kind of does matter - the understanding and use of language is important in how we communicate with our fellow humans.
e.g

Typical discussion
D: "You shouldn't be on the road - you don't pay road tax"
C: "There's no such thing as road tax"
D: "Well, i am Susie Dent and my observations and understanding of language tells me thats actually not quite true *proceeds to run cyclist over*

How it should go;
D: "You shouldn't be on the road - you don't pay road tax"
C: "That's true but cyclists aren't required to pay road tax, but have every right to use the highway, and are human beings with inherent worth who deserve respect and safety. "
D "You have confounded my world view, my life is a lie . i must make amends. *calls their mother for the first time in ages*

Am not really bothered about whether’ road tax ‘ is real in a hypothetical or metaphorical context.

But as far as I am concerned Susie Dent can call me any thing she wants and I will like it . 😂😂😀
 
Top Bottom