What happened next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having witnessed someone get doored at 20mph or so (a speed I often cruise around at) I stick resolutely out from parked cars.

For anyone who hasn't seen a dooring, I hope that you don't, but you will find the cyclists face is just at the right height to be decelerated to 0mph by the frame of the door.

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Having witnessed someone get doored at 20mph or so (a speed I often cruise around at) I stick resolutely out from parked cars.

For anyone who hasn't seen a dooring, I hope that you don't, but you will find the cyclists face is just at the right height to be decelerated to 0mph by the frame of the door.

I was chatting with my boss the other day, who also cycles in. After seeing me on TV we got chatting about cycling. He told me that a close friend of his was killed by someone opening a door on him. The door struck him from the side and he was pushed out into the traffic. He was killed by a bus that was traveling just behind him. Very sad story.

Keep well away from cars. It is the biggest danger on the roads.

Terminator, not trying to be funny here, but in the second video I feel that you and the cyclist ahead of you were at risk of being left hooked as you were left filtering across junctions whilst the traffic was moving. It only takes one driver to turn left unexpectedly and.... well I think we all know what could happen.

Just my opinions of course.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Can I suggest you angle the camera down a bit? The reason your videos are so dark is that the camera is mostly pointing at the sky, so is exposing for that, leaving everything below under-exposed.

Cab

Odyssey said:
I don't think you can realistically expect a driver to be aware of someone coming up in the 2 feet of space to their left. It's not the type of thing you expect when you're driving a car. I mean, unless you ride in this traffic yourself you're looking out for other cars, not cyclists who appear out of nowhere.

Seem to be plenty of cyclists on that road, so I can't agree with you. I think you'll find that motorists are meant to check for bikes before turning, they're expected to be aware. If they aren't, they oughtn't be driving.

The car was indicating. To carry on through on the inside is to cut it up. If you were in a car, even if there was enough room to the left, you would not under any circumstances make any attempt to go through the inside when you know it's about to turn. It would be total stupidity. Neither would it be wise to go through on a bike. You're expecting too much if you think that car's going to see you, no matter how aware they are.

I agree, the cyclist made an error. But I expect the motorist to see the cyclist in that situation. As does, I believe, the law.

Cab

magnatom said:
Keep well away from cars. It is the biggest danger on the roads.

This point has been stated and re-stated in this thread. But it is SO important that I' stating it again.

Keep out of the door zone. Cars behind might get upset, they may impatiently sound their horns or rev their engines. So be it. Not your problem or your responsibility. Stay safe, and sod anyone who believes you should endanger yourself to shade five seconds from their journey time.

Terminator said:
Im not going to argue about this because I can't be bothered.I just really can't be bothered.

Im not changing the way I have been cycling for the last 30 years.Get over it.

I don't want to argue either, but we have probably all heard of someone who smoked every day of their lives, and lived to the ripe old age of 103 and only died due to a freak parachuting accident.....

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
And they might have been ok in the parachuting accident if they'd been weaNO CARRIER

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Terminator said:
Im not going to argue about this because I can't be bothered.I just really can't be bothered.

No worries mate, as long as you realise we're not picking on you, we just care about you is all!!

:girl::girl::girl:

Terminator said:
Yes I do know the risks.Do you really think that I would want to cycle near a car that is parked and has occupants in it?

I try and pull out if safe to do so.

Anyway im off on my 6th (of 8) consecutive commute to work (and im tired yes) Cheers.

Mate, don't worry about these comments. Just be thankful your not taking the flak that I am taking! :girl:

If you post a video folk will comment on it. You just have to decide which replies to ignore.

Cab

Terminator said:

Thing is, you'll probably be fine. You're keeping alert, looking out to see who might open their doors... But you know like the rest of us do that if you're closer to the cars then there is an increased risk of hitting one. Its not HUGE, if you're alert, but its certainly there.

You can continue cycling your own way, of course you can, no one here has the power or inclination to stop you (although I suggest that you check the highway code here too, it also suggests leaving clearance sufficient for car doors to open), but I hope you'll understand that people offering advice here are doing so because they want you and all other cyclists to be as safe as possible. Just occasionally we are nice, you see :girl:

Cab

Terminator said:
The trouble is I wouldn't be happy with changing something I have been so used to doing for such a long time.In that I mean the way I cycle.

It is hard to do. The thing is, an individuals perveption of risk isn't always that good a way of determining whether they're doing something the safest way. As in the point made earlier about someone who has smoked for 40 years and is still alive.

You've been doing things a certain way for a long time, its reasonable that you'd feel uncomfortable changing away from that. Thats perfectly understandable. It is counter intuitive that cycling close to the middle of the lane, or riding well away from car doors regardless of lane markings, is safer on many (perhaps most) roads. Your instincts say that you're right, and cycling in an uninstinctive way just feels odd.

But at the same time, that doesn't mean that the advice you'll often see posted here to ride precisely in that way is bad, or not in every way well meant. It transpires that, for the most part, this counter intuitive cycling style is safer. It also transpires that serious accidents aren't that common riding your way, provided you stay well alert. They're just less common if you ride the other way. And I'm afraid that it is in the nature of people here to offer 'good' advice :evil:

Top Bottom