What happens to the bike you've test ridden?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyway, different stores do it different ways. Giant always have several models with different groupsets on the same frame, so the Twickenham store had one of each frame size on display on different models. So you test ride the frame size that fits, then admire the paint on the actual model. Then they order one in for you. Bicycle in Richmond have test models that are a few years old. "Come back and borrow it again" :smile:. But if I went to Evans, and tested a bike and purchased it, I'd expect to take the actual bike I'd just ridden, unless there was something wrong with it.

outlash

also available in orange
This is where some of the top retailers can show some level of ethics. Once a bike is used for test riding it should fall under the demo category. It should not passed on as new.

If that was to happen then a) bikes would be considerably more expensive then they are now, or b) You wouldn't be able to get test rides. You can't seriously expect retailers to have demo versions of every bike they sell in every size in every branch. Their inventory would be massive.

Tony.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I bought my Rockhopper from Evans Castleford, the sales assistant was trying to sell me the demo bike but wouldn't knock any money off. To be fair it was immaculate but I insisted I wanted a new one building which l they tried to discourage. I ended up with a new bike being built up but as much as I tried they wouldn't knock anything off the demo

If that was to happen then a) bikes would be considerably more expensive then they are now, or b) You wouldn't be able to get test rides. You can't seriously expect retailers to have demo versions of every bike they sell in every size in every branch. Their inventory would be massive.
Tony.

The car industry allows people test drive and they will not pass off demo cars as new ones. People are always ready to buy demo model after a discount. Retailers must factor the cost when they offer bikes for test rides

Passing off used bikes as new is dishonest. There are no sliver of doubt about that. Retailers who feel the buyer who picks up a demo bike thinking it is new have only themselves to blame is fine. But the dishonest conduct of the retailer does not evaporate even if he is a religious, a pillar of society in his town and a regular donor to charities.

Nebulous

Guru
I've been in a position where the only bike in my size was the shop floor one. I asked if it would attract a discount and was told no.

So my options were, wait 3-4 weeks to get a new one or get the shop-floor one in 3-4 days. I opted to wait. The shop were quite relaxed about it and didn't pressure me either way. To be fair I probably wouldn't have noticed, and within three months it wouldn't have mattered, but a boxed one just seemed more 'special' at the time.

outlash

also available in orange
The car industry allows people test drive and they will not pass off demo cars as new ones. People are always ready to buy demo model after a discount. Retailers must factor the cost when they offer bikes for test rides

That's not a great analogy. Cars come in one size, unlike bikes. You're not going to send a 6' 6" person out on a 52 cm framed bike for a test ride are you?

I see it more like the clothing industry where you try clothes on to see if they fit, if they don't they go back on the rack.

Tony.

That's not a great analogy. Cars come in one size, unlike bikes. You're not going to send a 6' 6" person out on a 52 cm framed bike for a test ride are you?
Tony.

Let me work out the logic above step by step ;
  1. Cars are one size
  2. Bikes comes in different sizes
  3. So its alright to pass off used bikes as new

midlife

Guru
The law is pretty clear in that if the bike has not been sold then it is "as new" and can be sold as such. If a bike is trashed on a test ride it can be repaired "as new" and sold as such. Cars can be dropped off the transporter, repaired and sold as a new car, the buyer does not even have to be told.

Morally and commercially things are perhaps a little different :smile:

Shaun

outlash

also available in orange
Let me work out the logic above step by step ;
  1. Cars are one size
  2. Bikes comes in different sizes
  3. So its alright to pass off used bikes as new

Are you going to give it the 'I know my rights as a consumer' routine in a minute?

Tony.

bpsmith

Veteran
So when you pick up your "brand new" car and it's got a few hundred miles on it...you say nothing and drive him as it "looks new". Well done!

midlife

Guru
Falling off a transporter or smacking it while moving it around the plot does not add a lot of miles. The body shop that did a lot of work on my 400 bhp impreza was packed with new cars having bodywork sorted :smile:

Shaun

Leodis

Veteran
What happens to the bike you've test ridden?

They are dismantled, repacked and sent to either the main depo or store then rebuilt, test rode and repeat numerous times and then sold as new by Evans.

I bought a Cannonade Badboy from Evans as my 1st adult bike, it was the only one in the country left in my size, the weather was bad when I picked it up and due to snow heavy so I was in a rush. The snow arrived and the bike parked in the house for a couple of weeks, I then noticed a dint in the frame and a chip out of the frame, I called Evans and their manager and online customer service took the line "Prove it was us". I loved the bike but it was constantly getting serviced at my expense within the 18 months I had it (I must have been serviced 4 times and taken back post service 6 times), the BB,cassette and chain needed replacing in less than 1500 miles and looking back the rear hander must have been out as the gears never ran smooth, well they did for about 20 miles post service then started jumping again. I put this all down to the times it had been rode, unpacked and rebuilt and messed about with on the shop floor.

I wonder how many times a single bike is sent to store, built and test rode then dismantled and shipped then repeated in these big chain stores?

Falling off a transporter or smacking it while moving it around the plot does not add a lot of miles. The body shop that did a lot of work on my 400 bhp impreza was packed with new cars having bodywork sorted :smile:

Shaun

These are not used cars or bikes. Dents, dints, scratch etc are part and parcel of nearly all trade with moving stock. Obviously it has to be touched up. Following your argument there will not be a single Impreza demo for sale by car dealers. Lets not stretch the argument over the confines of logic.

david k

Hi
After gearing problems, multiple spoke breakages and brake issues with my hybrid, all within three months of purchase, I'm of the opinion that Evans sold me the demo bike! The manager's final FO email to me he basically said: "You paid £350 for the Pinnacle, what did you expect for that kind of money?"
You expect a bike that works

Reminds me of when I was looking for a white shirt once, in buttons they had a sale on, they only had large and I'm a good xl even xxl, the salesman sorry assistant kept telling me it was a very good bargain as its on sale, I agreeed but told him it didn't fit, he kept on going that I wouldn't find one that good for that price anywhere else, even when told it didn't fit he still tried to sell it to me!!!! Oh great I have a cheap but very good white shirt in my wardrobe, it doesn't fit but it was cheap

The law is pretty clear in that if the bike has not been sold then it is "as new" and can be sold as such. If a bike is trashed on a test ride it can be repaired "as new" and sold as such. Cars can be dropped off the transporter, repaired and sold as a new car, the buyer does not even have to be told.

Morally and commercially things are perhaps a little different :smile:

Shaun

One of the methods of buying a car is to buy pre-registered

Quite often garages will register a car to make sales look better, and you can get a new car with a few miles for a big discount

Top Bottom