What has everyone done but you haven’t?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Never been on paye for more than eighteen months, from one employer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Treat yourself :okay:

When my current car starts to falls to bits I might consider it. But it's a tough little bugger and it might take a fair few years yet. I get hire cars very infrequently. I always get manual because I wouldn't have a clue how to drive an auto.

Sixmile

Veteran
Crazy. Unless you have a brilliant pension.

I found the only way to get a decent pay rise is to move on.

I guess if pay is your big deciding factor then yes. Money has never been a draw for me - clearly. Flexibility and life>work balance was key, plus aye the pension is good :laugh:

I have however changed roles over the years within the same overall company which has worked out ok.

OP
OP
cookiemonster

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Probably not all that I unusual, but I've never driven an automatic transmission car.

I've never driven a manual.

I prefer auto, lazy sod that I am. ^_^

presta

Guru
Probably not all that I unusual, but I've never driven an automatic transmission car.
I think I've only ever driven one, a Granada estate that my employers had on hire.

Someone I worked with had to buy autos because his wife had an auto only licence. Her father was disabled, and she'd learnt to drive in his auto.
Money has never been a draw for me
I was only ever interested in enjoying myself doing something interesting. Find a job you enjoy, and you'll never do a days work in your life.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think I've only ever driven one, a Granada estate that my employers had on hire.

When I was young by dad had one briefly. He had a company car and was loaned the automatic for a while for some reason. Our drive was on a bit of an upward slope to the road, and for some reason he couldn't get it to reverse off the drive. I remember it causing a major kerfuffle and has instilled a fear of automatics in me. This was in the 1970s heyday of British Leyland churning out high quality motors. Maybe automatics that couldn't reverse uphill were a thing back then.

Top Bottom